Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Store bought Beer

Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
ginsu14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Store bought Beer

I have recently started home brewing with my girlfriend who has done it for years.I enjoy the taste of alot of the brews we make but some of my friends asked when I was going to make normal beer which they mean taste similar to budweiser or miller. I am not sure what kind of beer this would be-philsner,lager, etc. any help would be appreciated and if you happen to know where to get the ingredience that would be a huge help also. Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsu14
I have recently started home brewing with my girlfriend who has done it for years.I enjoy the taste of alot of the brews we make but some of my friends asked when I was going to make normal beer which they mean taste similar to budweiser or miller. I am not sure what kind of beer this would be-philsner,lager, etc. any help would be appreciated and if you happen to know where to get the ingredience that would be a huge help also. Thank you in advance for any information you may have.
Why would want to make a beer you can buy at wal-mart for $15 a case? Any who, there both lager's, if that help's.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
TheOceaneer
Recipes 

Style: Lager
Ingredients: Water, Urine

Sorry, it had to be said. It may be easier just to get new friends.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think if you search budweiesr clone, you'll get your info.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
some of my friends asked when I was going to make normal beer which they mean taste similar to budweiser or miller.
Trying to make a homebrew like BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) is actually pretty difficult since they have no taste at all. All three are lagers which are fermented at temperatures that are very hard for beginning homebrewers unless you have refrigeration, plus they use adjuncts (other ingredients, like corn & rice) to make it even lighter in color and flavor.

I would recommend AHS Gold Seal Cerveza which is a light mexican beer like a corona. For $24.99, they will hook you up with all the stuff you need to make it except the equipment. Great directions too!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok guys, give him a break

Welcome to the forums!

What I would suggest is, if you girlfriend is an experienced homebrewer you may want to try your hand at producing a German Pilsner. However, your friends still may not like it because it will be a single malt, hops and yeast. In particular the hop rates of a good Pils are usually significantly high that it will turn off many folks who like Budweiser, etc.

And I would say that brewing an excellent Lager is probably more of a challenge than brewing an excellent Ale. Pilsners are a great style for hot days after work and rather hard to make with excellence.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I would recommend AHS Gold Seal Cerveza which is a light mexican beer like a corona. For $24.99, they will hook you up with all the stuff you need to make it except the equipment. Great directions too!

Good call, Ed.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

There's been a couple discussions over the last couple of weeks about clones for both Bud and Heinekin....In fact I think on the bud thread they're doing some sort of brewing competition using the same recipe, and there is a heiny clone recipe on the heneiken thread as well....

If you use the search function in the forum you should be able to find those particular threads (I believe they were both from last week, or no more than 2 weeks ago), and also people participating on there that might be able to give you and your GF plenty of advice if you guys are bent on attempting it...

Like a couple people have mentioned, it is surprisingly really difficult to brew that style of beer (which to me makes no sense...It's actually harder to make something that tastes to me bland and nauseatingly unpalatable....Than it is to make something rich and full bodied, like a simple ale....go figure.)

It's not personally my cup of tea, but you should be able to find some good info on those 2 threads I mentioned.

Good Luck!
And Welcome to our little piece of homebrew heaven!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

+1 on what Edwort said, Do you have the capabilities to Lager for 4 weeks or longer at 42 degrees? + when you go to www.Austinhomebrew.com to look for the Cervesa there are several clones to Commercial beers that you may want to try they are all in Alphabetical order, Also I suggest you trying to make a steam beer your friends probably have never had one and probably will like it.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
Benny Blanco

Recipes 

Quote:
I enjoy the taste of alot of the brews we make but some of my friends asked when I was going to make normal beer which they mean taste similar to budweiser or miller.
You mean, I've been drinking ABNORMAL beer this whole time??

Seriously, I would just try to get them to keep trying my beers. A friend of mine who loves coors light and didn't like many ales just found out that he loves belgian tripels.

I think you just need to relax and make the beer you like. I mean, it's your beer. Maybe you could just keep a 6pack of that BMC swill in your fridge for people who like "normal" beer.