Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Spent grains and fishing?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Redweasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Spent grains and fishing?

In Missouri it is legal to bait fishing holes in most lakes. I've been using old rotten black-eyed peas that I keep in a sealed bucket. Now to get on point, after forgetting to take the trash out after a brew session I awoke to a quite unpleasant smell. As I was taking the trash out I realised that it smelled an awful lot like the peas that I use to bait holes in the summer. So I'm thinking that if I tie a full grain bag of spent grain nastiness to a rock and toss it in the lake the catfish will come running. Thoughts? Anyone ever try this?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Redweasel

Recipes 

Bumpity bump! I know there are some fishermen out there who might have a take on this.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I haven't tried this.

I've used dogfood, grits, and creamed corn mixed w/ red jello. This is supposed to wake up carp & cats. No such luck though. I think the fish were done for the year when I tried this.

I was also using hotdogs soaked in red jello. They were bittin' but I wasn't able to land anything.

Tried chicken livers, again no frick'n luck.

I may have to chum a nasty grain bag on the side of the boat.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I don't see why not....

Although I tried feeding spent grains to my GF's LLamas......They hated them....

Though the catfish may love it...Man fresh catfish...I haven't had great catfish since I left Missouri 4 years ago.....I used to live at Jumpin' Catfish, in Lee's Summit.....plus some really little catfish joint between Raytown and KC....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Redweasel

Recipes 

Jumpin' Catfish is great. (although never been brave enough to try the turkey fries) Nothing better than fresh fried catfish and hushpuppies..... Man I'm freakin hungry!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
Redweasel

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
I haven't tried this.

I've used dogfood, grits, and creamed corn mixed w/ red jello. This is supposed to wake up carp & cats. No such luck though. I think the fish were done for the year when I tried this.

I was also using hotdogs soaked in red jello. They were bittin' but I wasn't able to land anything.

Tried chicken livers, again no frick'n luck.

I may have to chum a nasty grain bag on the side of the boat.
I've heard of a lot of stange catfish bait but never red jello. What is the deal with that, I'm gettin the fever. I don't know whats worse for me right now fishing or brewing.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redweasel
Man I'm freakin hungry!
Yeah...you and me both....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

I read that red jello is good for cats. Heard this from a few buddies too. Its the sweet smell that attracts them. Red:Blood???

Get a whole bunch of cheap hot dogs, then chop them up and put them in large pickle or pretzel jar dump a few packs of red jello an fill with water. Its not so nausiating if you're hung-over. If so disposed, you could eat'em.

Other stink bate might have you doing the breakfast chum over the side.

Done this once, got a bucket of minnows and red jello. It dies them red. Makes them look different to the fishes. Its kind of weird but works good.

Its changing it up that draws fish in my book.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 03-18-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Redweasel

Recipes 

I have used hot dogs before with mixed results. Kinda expensive for bait, but what I usually use is shrimp. For some reason they only seem to like it if it has no pink in it whatsoever. Shad guts seem to work well for me also. I'm going to go nuts if I don't get to the lake soon. Hmmm...brew at the lake? Now I'm in REAL trouble.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

I've gotten the cheap dogs for $.99 each (8-12). $2 and two packs of jello that's alot of bait.

My pond out back still frozen.

Just checked my worms from last year. Their good and fat. Been feeding them coffee grounds all winter.

Yeah I'm itch' to get out there too. April is the best on my pond. Tons of Bluegills and Bass.

BS Nano-Brewery