All Grain Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I just started getting into All-Grain from Extract and have 3 batches under my belt so far, I like light and bitter IPA's and Pale Ales as a preference.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has the time to take a quick look at this post and let me know what I can do better, improve, add, or remove to my process.

Here is my rig that I'm working with

IMG_1994.jpg

First thing is do is rinse and star san all equipment. I'll even star san the HLT, then run it down the fly sparge into the MT, and into the BK, through the pump and into the Chill Plate.

IMG_1996.jpg

On the Chill Plate I'll toss into the oven prior and bake at 450˙ for an hour or two. Use a siphon hose and pump the crap out of it all the char, then hook up to a hose garden hose and blow out as much as I can, then soak in star sSan

I just did a recipe to copy the Firestone Walker 31 in the pics here.

This is for a 5 gal batch and with 10 lbs of grains I heated up a little over 3.75 gal of water to a little over 160˙ targeting 145 as asked for. At the same time I heated up 7 gal in the HLT to 180˙

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

I then inserted my grains into the MT and stir as to get no dough balls, then covers up the keggle with water heater insulation as well as the outer wall

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

I let it sit for an hour and I didn't loose so much as a degree during that duration.

BUT, here is where i was thrown. The recipe says "Recommends mashing at 145˙ for 45mins, then bringing your mash temp to 155˙F for 5-10mins prior to mashout at 168˙

I was not sure on what that meant, do I spark up the burners and raise the temp or add water form the HLT to raise? So I skipped this process :(

My MT

IMG_2019.JPG

So I then began to vorlauf about 2.5 gals until I thought it looked clear

IMG_2021.jpg

I then began to flysparge

IMG_2023.JPG

Another questions.....before I flysparge and vorlauf should I stir it few more times? This is did not do.

I fly sparge a small stream as shown above, too slow?

I try to balance as much water going in the MT as leaving to the brew kettle

IMG_2025.jpg

The target Sparge temp was 168˙and I got pretty close to it

IMG_2026.jpg

A visual of my process

IMG_2028.JPG

I had more water in my HLT than needed just in case

I turned on my burners to the BK as I'm bringing it in form MT

I got 6.5 gal into the brew kettle and turned it off. I probably should have added an extra grain but I bought a kit online.

I added some hops (Fuggles & Chinook .25oz each) and boiled to 90 minutes uncovered

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2035.jpg

I also added in last 5 min of boil a clarifier, what are the pro's and cons of these?

At boil end I popped in 1 oz of both Cascade and Centennial

I then hooked up the BK to the pump and and began pumping, gravity feed at first then pumped from the BK > Pump > Chill Plate > Fermentor

I brought it into the Fermentor pretty slow and it was 85˙F once in the fermentor, maybe i should have went slower, for some reason it was a little warmer whereas most times I can get it to 78˙F ?

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.JPG

I finished at 8pm last night and the temp was 85˙, so I had to wait until this morning to pop in the yeast

I took a stirring spoon and inserted it into my drill and whirlpooled the fermentor to aerate getting ready for the British Ale yeast. I popped the yeast in at 76˙F which is as low as the temps would go with equal ambient room temps

With boil off and sediment in my BK I was only able to bring in 4.5 gallons which was small and the smallest I've ever brought in before.

3-5 days I'll dry hop

Any advice, criticism, comments would be deeply appreciated

Two things that jumped out at me, 145 is a really low mash temp, and 3-5 days is a little too soon to dry hop. I've always mashed between 150 to 155 depending on the style, and dry hop after 2 weeks.

That does seem low from I've read and watched, but that is the recipe oddly enough, also the 3-5 is days before bottling, haha....my bad

Another thing I noticed, you don't need to star san stuff on the pre-boil side like your HLT, MT, sparge arm, etc. It's a waste of time, the grain is not sterile, just sanitize anything on the post boil side. As far as pumps and chillers many like to sanitize by recirc'ing the boiling wort through before chilling.

Agreed, using Starsan on anything before the boil is just a waste of good Starsan. If you don't do a stepped mash you need to figure out what the right temperature should be for the mash. The lowest temperature is not the best. I do about 148 -150 for dry beers and 154 or so for sweeter beers.
I don't fly sparge but you need to balance the incoming to the outgoing flow so that it takes at least 30 minutes up to an hour. YMMV.

Other than that it looks like it went well.

Back