Your hop reco for Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrenum

Reaction score
Cheers fellow brewers, :rockin:
Tomorrow I am brewing a Rye IPA. I want it on the lighter side; more like a bold pale ale, so in the lower range of IPA. I was thinking about 50 IBU. Not too hoppy, mellow bitterness, nice aromas to complete the maltiness of the grain bill.

I am curious to get your hop schedule recommandation for the recipe below. I have a good selection in my freezer. please use this list for your reco! I am canadian, units are in Kg but I included the % of the grain bill. Any feedback welcome!!!

available hops in my freezer:
CZ saaz, tettnanger (us), crystal, magnum, simcoe, Sylvia (au), Topaz (au), amarillo, sorachi ace, nugget, perle, nelson sauvin, centennial and cascade...

Have fun!!!!! and thank you for your feedback :mug:

21 - IPA
B - Specialty IPA

70.08 L @ 68 °F (1.058)
Efficiency: 87.0% Attenuation: 80.0%

OG 1.058
FG 1.012
10.71 SRM
6.08% alc.

10.0 kg (62.3%) Canadian 2-Row Malt
1.5 kg (9.3%) Wheat Malt
1.35 kg (8.4%)Rye Malt;
1.35 kg (8.4%)Rye Flaked
1.0 kg (6.2%)Carared®; Weyermann
0.5 kg (3.1%)Caramel Malt 60L
0.35 kg (2.2%)Victory® Malt

I was thinking
nugget for bittering
centennial and topaz for flavouring
amarillo and simcoe for aromas
what do you think?

Magnum for bittering, followed by a ton of simcoe, cascade, amarillo, & centennial for the whirlpool and the dry hop.

I once brewed a British RyePA with Admiral and Bramling Cross hops. It was nicely bittered with some currant flavors and aromas alongside the classic rye spice. Just a thought!

Finally used
Nugget for bittering
1 oz Sorachi Ace
2 oz Nelson Sauvin
1 oz Centenniel
for flavouring

Centennial and Simcoe for aromas at flameout
Simcoe and Amarillo dry hopping

Complex hops schedule... we'll see

Back