Refractometer post boil measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oujens

Reaction score
I had taken a few measurements using a refractometer and noticed that after I took the initial reading (pull sample, add to lens, blow on it, close lens, hold it up to natural light), the Brix measurement increased from 12.8 to 13.2. I found as I open and close the lens a few times with the same sample, I get the same result (increases to 13.2) so I guess the question is which measurement should I record? The first measurement, or the final measurement? The wort was around room temp when pulled. Probably would be 1-2 minutes between measurements.

Edit: should note that I couldn't locate my hydrometer so couldn't confirm the reading.

It's a minute difference in the big scheme of things. I'd average the two since you can't resample now.

Couple of things I do. I put a drop of distilled water on it to calibrate it ever every time. Second, before I take a sample, I give my wort a good stir to make sure it is all evenly mixed, more so if I have to add some top off water. :mug:

Latest posts

Back