white film in bottled cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthumphries

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts about white film on cider in the brewing process, but I've just had two different batches show a white substance floating in the top of the bottle after being bottled for several months. Very simple recipes for both basically just using juice from the store and yeast. No film during fermentation, but each batch only fermented for about 3 weeks before going straight into the bottle. Bottles were all sanitized before use. We've had a few bottles of each batch within the first month of bottling and they were all fine. This seems to have happened in bottles that have been around for several months. Any ideas on what this might be or what may have caused it?

sounds like an acetic acid bacteria or a lactic acid bacteria. i see it sometimes in bottles too, it is a contaminant from transfer process. it will make the product more sour over time.

Thanks for the response. I did some reading up on the two bacterias that you mentioned and came across this:
When things go wrong (cider making)
http://www.cider.org.uk/part5.htm
Seems like a good resource for any others who may have similar issues.

Had a similar problem in my bucket carboy. I had dryhopped a batch and then added truvia for sweetening. I thought it was the truvia not blending. I used a drill mixer and mixed it up, but it came back in a week or so. I ran it through a brita filter - all 5 gallons, and bottled. It tasted pretty rough. But after 12 months it was damn fine, and no one died or got sick.

Back