New? BIAB setup from Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc999

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was cruzing the beer related web sites and came upon this:
http://conical-fermenter.com/BK18TW-TI-EL1-BIB-104-18-gal-Brew-In-Bag-Kettle.html

Except for the lack of a re-circulation port in the kettle and the thermometer being through the lid, it looks really nice.

My question though is about the size of the holes in the basket. They are stated to be 3/32 or .094 inches. Most folks using baskets are using 400 micron mesh or .016 inches.

What do BIABer's think about this.

What is with them and images? I tried to find more pictures but couldn't. Maybe because I'm on my phone. Last time I shopped at their site I had the same issue. Pictures aren't expensive anymore guys.

If I could see it I would have a better idea. Their estimate on grain bill seems high.

Was cruzing the beer related web sites and came upon this:
http://conical-fermenter.com/BK18TW-TI-EL1-BIB-104-18-gal-Brew-In-Bag-Kettle.html

Except for the lack of a re-circulation port in the kettle and the thermometer being through the lid, it looks really nice.

My question though is about the size of the holes in the basket. They are stated to be 3/32 or .094 inches. Most folks using baskets are using 400 micron mesh or .016 inches.

What do BIABer's think about this.

Personally i prefer simple kettle with one valve thats it. Simple set up and clean up. The less bells and whistles the better.

OK, I finally got around to pulling this up on a computer and saw the images. I think your concern over the size of the holes is valid. Those do appear to be very wide. I can't imagine this will hold the grains in much. But you could get a custom Wilser bag to line the inside and I bet that would work well. I assume there is a post near the bottom of the basket so you can raise the basket to drain and rest it on the post support. If so that is a nice configuration. I bet you could recirculate through the top with some custom fittings of your choice. Their stuff does look really well made. One concern would be the size. My setup is 20g and I use every bit of that at times. But that all depends on what you brew.

OK, I finally got around to pulling this up on a computer and saw the images. I think your concern over the size of the holes is valid. Those do appear to be very wide. I can't imagine this will hold the grains in much. But you could get a custom Wilser bag to line the inside and I bet that would work well. I assume there is a post near the bottom of the basket so you can raise the basket to drain and rest it on the post support. If so that is a nice configuration. I bet you could recirculate through the top with some custom fittings of your choice. Their stuff does look really well made. One concern would be the size. My setup is 20g and I use every bit of that at times. But that all depends on what you brew.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I currently have a first gen Brew-Boss and use the W bag. I'd like to step up to welded TC fittings and a hard basket. If I have to use a bag as well, I'm right where I am today.

I think one of the Stout kettles with a Utahdiesel or Colorado Brewing basket might be a better upgrade path.

thanks again,
Mark

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I currently have a first gen Brew-Boss and use the W bag. I'd like to step up to welded TC fittings and a hard basket. If I have to use a bag as well, I'm right where I am today.

I think one of the Stout kettles with a Utahdiesel or Colorado Brewing basket might be a better upgrade path.

thanks again,
Mark

You could go with a new custom kettle with all the fittings you want, custom Wilser bag, and get a bottom shelf to keep the bag off the heating element. I think Bobby at Brew Hardware had them a while back. Only issue is finding a way to hold and squeeze the bag. Or I bet Utah Biodiesel could make a custom basket to fit the new kettle and add some posts that flip up to help when it is time to drain. They have a long list of custom items they've created.

I considered doing this when I was shopping but since it was all new I didn't know exactly what to look for and I ended up with a complete system from Co Brewing. If you know exactly what you want and need then picking the best parts from the best suppliers and getting custom stuff could work really well.

Good luck.

Back