Scaling down a brewery recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zincter

Reaction score
I have always been an extract brewer and haven't done it for a while. Recently a local craft brewery shared a recipe with me for a beer that I really liked, but it's for a brewery sized batch.

Here is what I was sent:

"Hey! It's pretty basic, we simply use 100% ESB Malt, 800lbs, it's our base malt, boil for 90 minutes, 1.5 lbs Horizon at 60 minutes and 3 lbs Saaz for end of boil. You'll have to work out the ratios for your size batch, this is for 15 bbls. . We aim for a OG of 12.5 Plato. We pitch our house strain of yeast which is a Kolsch and Ferment at 68, bump to 71 when gravity reaches below half OG. That's about it. Pretty simple. Simple is good. If I forgot anything, please ask. I'm not at the brewery at the moment so going off memory.
Cheers, "

Would boiling this ESB malt for 90 mins yield wort? Or am I missing something?

Any help scaling this down to a 5 gallon batch would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

They are making 15 barrel batches, which is 465 gallons. Basic oversimplification but just do the math. A 5 gallon batch would be 1/93rd of his full 15 barrel batch.

Rounding it off the recipe might look as follows:
8.5lbs of ESB malt
.25oz of Horizon (60 min left)
.5 oz of Saaz (0 min/flameout)
Kolsch yeast

Probably mash around 148 for 60 min. OG around 1.045, finish around 1.010.

I'm no expert but that's what I would try.

I think to do this conversion you need a bit more info like OG, FG and IBU's. since you have the grain bill (100% ESB) and hop schedule X Horizon at 60, 2X Saaz at Flame Out) you should be able to get there pretty easy w/ Beer Smith type program if you know you're system.

Looking at it again they're aiming for 12.5 Plato which is 1.050 SG so that's nice. I'd just get IBU's to help you lock in you're hop schedule. Should be easy from there. In BeerSmith I'm pretty sure you can lock in IBU and OG when you scale a recipe so you might be able to just enter it as is and hit scale?

W/ Some quick Brewers Friend work it looks like at 472.5 Gallons (15 bbl i think) and 800 pounds of grain you get 1.050 OG (12.5 Plato) for a 90 min boil at 82% efficiency from ESB malt. 24 oz of Horizon (12.5% AA) at 60 min gives you 10.11 IBU's and BF is saying that 48 oz Saaz at 0 min gives you 0 IBUs so that would be 10.11 IBU's also says 5.06 SRM.

My quick conversion for 70% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch into the fermenter would be 11 pounds of ESB, 90 min boil with .25 oz Horizon at 60 min and 0.5 oz Saaz at flame out. stats come out as 1.050 OG, 10.78 IBU's 5.67 SRM. FG and ABV obviously will vary by yeast strain.

Hope that helps.

Will I get wort just from boiling the ESB malt? Or am I missing something? I've never made all grain brew so am a little confused.

You need to crush the grain (or have it crushed for you), then let it soak in water (mashing). You get rid of the grain and then boil the water (wort at this point). You don't boil the grain.

I would suggest a few videos on Youtube.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbdRDm2VsCc[/ame]
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcRXjdlcvKY[/ame]

Probably the easiest way is to just get a big kettle and a brew in a bag for doing mashes. Only need one vessel, can do it on the stove, no need for large amounts of equipment.

When he says they boil ESB malt, I think he means that they mash the ESB malt, then collect the wort from it. They boil for 90 minutes. If you're usually an extract brewer, then you should be able to get similar results from Maris Otter extract - I think Briess makes it, along with Maillard Malts and Munton's.

I think you would need around 6-7 pounds of liquid extract to get to your OG.

Am I calculating wrong? I get 1 barrel = 42 US gallons x 15 barrels = 630 US gallons. That would mean all quantities multiplied by 0.0079:

6.32 lb ESB malt
0.19 oz Horizon @ 60
0.39 oz Saaz @ 0

Doesn't seem right though does it? Calculates out to 3.2% abv and 11-12 IBU

Am I calculating wrong? I get 1 barrel = 42 US gallons x 15 barrels = 630 US gallons. That would mean all quantities multiplied by 0.0079:

6.32 lb ESB malt
0.19 oz Horizon @ 60
0.39 oz Saaz @ 0

Doesn't seem right though does it?

Should be 31 gallons not 42.

Yeah there might be a difference between barrels of oil and barrels of beer if it's a generic gallons to barrels conversion.

Back