Yeast Questions for First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikarujen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I brewed my first batch of beer, a brown ale, and everything came out pretty good I think. It is conditioning in the bottle right now, and I didn't think the yeast at the bottom would weird me out, but it is. So my question is:

What can I do to lessen the yeast in the bottle. I have read that people say they cold crash and use gelatin, but would I need to do a second ferment to do this?

Will the yeast affect the flavor of the beer?

Thanks!

So with traditional priming its fairly hard to avoid yeast build up in the bottle. No they will not affect the taste of the beer, if any thing they will help the beer age. I was pretty off put by the yeast in the bottles of my first batch but I think that's pretty common with all first time home brewers. There are many ways to clear a beer up like cold crashing, Irish moss, gelatin and so on. After priming is complete keeping there beer stored cold will help the yeast flock to the bottom of the bottle. Congrats of the first brew my friend and welcome to home brewing.

Choose well flocculating yeast. Let the beer sit for a while before bottling, but usually not for more than a month in primary. Pick beers that are improved with a little time in secondary. Consider making lager or lager-like beers that need to sit in a cold environment for a couple months before they're done. After they've carbonated and bottle-conditioned for a while get them in the fridge for more than a couple days before you plan on drinking or serving them. Try not to disturb/agitate/shake the bottle too much when you get it out to pour. Leave just a little beer in the bottle, because the stuff you pour at the end probably has the most yeast.

If it is really off-putting to you, get a filtration system and some kegs.

Use Whirlfloc at the end of your boil and let sit in primary for 3 weeks. Pour carefully from bottle and you'll be as clear as a commercial brew.

Ferment for a month. More yeast will settle out but you'll always have a little in the bottle. Don't sweat it.

Not much you can do on this batch, other than chill them for at least a week before consuming (which will compact the yeast cake more). Future batches will get a little better as you gain more skill and control.

Keg, then after the initial sediment draws off you will pour clear beer. If bottling, you can filter the beer and then dose with fresh yeast to get just enough yeast in to do the job but not so much you get a bunch of yeast sediment. However, I doubt your problem is simply excess yeast sediment, it is probably fine particulate matter also. So, reduce the particulate matter. Whirlfloc or your fining agent of choice during the boil, whirlpool or settle post ferment to decrease amount of sediment brought to the carboy. Ferment, cold crash, hit with gelatin when it gets under 50 degrees, wait for it to clear for a day or two as the cold crash continues, draw off clear beer leaving all the trub behind, then bottle and you should have very little trub find its way to your bottles.

Assuming kegging is not an option, here's my suggestions...

Do everything you can to get clear beer before bottling. This means Irish moss/whirlfloc in the boil, bit of extra time in primary, cold crashing, gelatin or finings.

When you rack to the bottling bucket don't be too greedy - clearer beer sometimes means leaving a bit behind. If you can allow the beer to sit in the bottling bucket for 30-60 mins that helps settle out some sediment too.

Put the bottles in the fridge for as long as you can before drinking. 24h in the fridge gets a beer cold, but 1 week+ will really clear things up and pack the sediment down.

Some yeasts do a better job of settling out than others. Choose ones that are high-flocculating.

Extract brews leave a LOT less in the bottle than all-grain brews.

And finally - I think it's mostly in the pour technique. You just have to leave a bit behind in the bottle when you pour - it's totally possible to have perfect clear beer with bottle conditioning, but you do have to leave a bit behind.

I had similar concerns when I started brewing, I'm past that now. More time in the fridge and work on that pour technique and you will be fine.

Yeast works wonders at any temperature. Add the yeast in primary after you are pretty sure that fermentation is complete.

EDIT: Oops -- GELATIN. GELATIN works wonders at any temp. Add GELATIN in primary at end of fermentation.

I was apparently half-asleep when I wrote this.

Yeast works wonders at any temperature. Add the yeast in primary after you are pretty sure that fermentation is complete.

What does this even mean??? Add yeast after fermentation is complete?

I think you have to also get used to the idea that in a 12 oz bottle, you might only get 11 ounces of beer. Never drink straight from the bottle. Pour it slowly and stop as soon as you see yeast heading toward the end of the bottle.

Oops -- GELATIN. GELATIN works wonders at any temp. Add GELATIN in primary at end of fermentation.

I was apparently half-asleep when I wrote this. Oopsie.

Hahaha. That makes more sense!

Thanks for all the tips!! So I have a wheat ale in the fermenter right now, it is ok to ferment for 3 weeks instead of 2? I don't have the option of cold crashing yet, and I don't think kegging is as option yet.

How do you add gelatin? I have seen videos of people adding gelatin to kegs, but not a video of adding to primary ferment.

-Jen

People use gelatin in different ways. My way:

Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in the microwave. Add 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin per 5 gallon batch and stir until dissolved. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Then add to your fermenter. Swirl the fermenter to mix the gelatin in there. A couple days later, your beer is clear as crystal.

Hi Everyone! I brewed my first batch of beer, a brown ale, and everything came out pretty good I think. It is conditioning in the bottle right now, and I didn't think the yeast at the bottom would weird me out, but it is. So my question is:

What can I do to lessen the yeast in the bottle. I have read that people say they cold crash and use gelatin, but would I need to do a second ferment to do this?

Will the yeast affect the flavor of the beer?

Thanks!

Caribou Slobber brown ale is all I ever brew. About the yeast.....simply decanter the beer into a clean glass and leave about 1/8" of beer in the bottle and you'll be fine. Btw, enjoy!!! :mug:

Thanks for all the tips!! So I have a wheat ale in the fermenter right now, it is ok to ferment for 3 weeks instead of 2? I don't have the option of cold crashing yet, and I don't think kegging is as option yet.

How do you add gelatin? I have seen videos of people adding gelatin to kegs, but not a video of adding to primary ferment.

-Jen

Yes, that's fine to leave it another week. I usually go 3-4 weeks.

What kind of wheat? If you're ok with cloudy wheats, you don't need to cold crash.

@ericbw Am american wheat ale from a kit at my local home brew store. Honestly, I dont know. I haven't had one in w while.

@dmtaylor thanks! I will have that a try. Ive read that after initial ferment you dont want to splash or slosh beer around because of aeration. So, yay newbies taking everything literally.

@Brownalemikie I plan to not drink the yeast on the brown ale. I found it a little bitter to my taste.

There is no way around having a little yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle, unless you filter the beer and artificially carbonate the beer.

Simply, pour your beer into a glass without stirring up the sediment. Stop with a little beer left in the bottom of the bottle. It should only be an eighth inch or so.

If you use a high flocculating yeast there is no reason to go 3-4 weeks or more. It should clear in 10 - 14 days or even less.

There is no way around having a little yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle, unless you filter the beer and artificially carbonate the beer.

Simply, pour your beer into a glass without stirring up the sediment. Stop with a little beer left in the bottom of the bottle. It should only be an eighth inch or so.

If you use a high flocculating yeast there is no reason to go 3-4 weeks or more. It should clear in 10 - 14 days or even less.

I agree, don't fear the yeast. It's actually good for you, B vitamins, prevents hangovers. But if you do a careful pour, everything can stay in the bottle.

Back