Help finding or making an Ss brewtech 7 gallon Chronical neoprene jacket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
I bought this conical along with the cooling kit off a friend, but he misplaced the neoprene insulation jacket. I saw one on eBay a while back for $20, but it got snatched.

Does anyone have an idea of how I could get one or something similar? Maybe I could make one? I emailed Ss brewtech but they can't help me. They said I'd have to buy a whole new cooling kit if my friend can't locate it. He can't locate it. I don't have $250 to drop on a piece of neoprene.. That's just crazy talk.

Thanks!

making one would be a royal pain. Just fitting the cone to the barrel and making all the holes line up makes my head hurt without cad.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about getting rid of the whole setup. It's a shame that it's 90% complete for temp control, but missing a crucial part. And I spent too much to wrap a towel around it. I'm really surprised as brewtech can't track one down for me.

Wrap a blanket or something around it. Not as pretty, but better than nothing. Even without the insulation it is a great rig.
I'm surprised that they sell you one. I bought the coils and jacket for mine a while back. I think both were available separately back then

Yeah I shot them an email and they told me all of the jackets are assigned to kits. So My options are hope my friend finds it (he assures me he won't), or buy a whole new ftss kit. The setup is so damn nice, I can't bare to have something this nice just to have a towel wrapped around it. To me it's more than just a fermenter, its a conversation piece. Maybe someone from SS brewtech will see this and be able to track one down.

I grabbed them when they were just starting to offer the "brewmaster" versions. I build a BCS controler and have a glycol chiller so did not need their pump and controls in the ftss kit and wanted to keep the domed lid so I just added a coil on my first conical. After getting the first one and several jackets they started offering the version that just has the coil that comes through the side and jacket, not the pump and suck. I have a couple extra 14 gal jackets now..... :/

Yeah I shot them an email and they told me all of the jackets are assigned to kits. So My options are hope my friend finds it (he assures me he won't), or buy a whole new ftss kit. The setup is so damn nice, I can't bare to have something this nice just to have a towel wrapped around it. To me it's more than just a fermenter, its a conversation piece. Maybe someone from SS brewtech will see this and be able to track one down.

This seems like a major breach of customer support. I've only ever heard good things about them. Hopefully they will come to their senses.

This seems like a major breach of customer support. I've only ever heard good things about them. Hopefully they will come to their senses.
:off:

Why is this SSB's problem. I understand the OP's position, however it is not SSB's responsibility to break a kit, lose money, etc. I am sure the cost to have separate jackets as an inventory item was cost prohibitive.

I believe SSB did absolutely nothing wrong.
Further, this thread should not be a discussion about SSB, instead should be
how to help the OP.

my 2 cents..

I used 2 layers of double foil faced bubble wrap and foil faced heat duct tape to make my jacket which covers the heating strip and discharge hose wrapped around the outside which I use for my heating and cooling with my chiller. I clean my conicals in place so I leave the chiller line and the insulation permanently attached on my 3 stainless conicals. It does work very well although I could see it not being ideal for everyone mainly for cosmetic reasons.

Jsprinceiii, I'm not blaming SSB. They responded to my email right away and explained why they can't help me. I understand their policy. I'm mostly asking the community for creative alternatives. They're a great company and put out amazing products. $550 in the hole with only piece of fitted fabric away from a perfect setup is just frustrating.

I used 2 layers of double foil faced bubble wrap and foil faced heat duct tape to make my jacket which covers the heating strip and discharge hose wrapped around the outside which I use for my heating and cooling with my chiller. I clean my conicals in place so I leave the chiller line and the insulation permanently attached on my 3 stainless conicals. It does work very well although I could see it not being ideal for everyone mainly for cosmetic reasons.

Thanks! I'm going to look into this.

Jsprinceiii, I'm not blaming SSB. They responded to my email right away and explained why they can't help me. I understand their policy. I'm mostly asking the community for creative alternatives. They're a great company and put out amazing products. $550 in the hole with only piece of fitted fabric away from a perfect setup is just frustrating.

Hi safedude,
Was not referring to your post. Instead regarding the "breach of customer support".
Totally get where your coming from. :mug:

I understand not stocking parts individually. That said, not having parts that COULD be considered "wear parts" individually is what generally leads to someone spending the time to find the sub manufacture (that is almost always willing to sell direct).

Are you sure you need it? Are you lagering or cold crashing? If so then yes it helps.
If your just fermenting ale it's not needed. Just my 2cents

I'm not currently lagering but I was planning on it. I do cold crash though.

Hold up, all this over a piece of neoprene. Gentlemen this is an easy fix. For $31 I can buy a large neoprene 3mm thick sheet. You then just need to measure the circumference at the top middle and bottom of conical, followed by the top of the cone. Use a ruler and Mark out your point on the sheet. Use the straight edge to connect the dots. Then cut out the pattern. Now wrap the conical in your cut out material and mark for your fittings. Cut appropriate holes. Test fit again. Now you can either find a sewing machine if you want it to look real fancy or just bust out a needle and thread and see the seam. Hell you could even stitch in a zipper. We build brew rigs with sanitary welding a advanced control circuits, but you can't cut out and stitch together a piece of neoprene?

Hmm I'll try to track down the manufacturer. Any ideas?

The manufacturer for the $20 pumps and the chiller thay use which is also cheaper without rebranding (no surprise here) has already been found and posted. I have seen the coils on ebay being sold but I dont know for sure what they were originally made for. The controller they use is also used in expresso/coffee machines or commercial fridges like you would find at a gas station.. (same as an stc1000). Ive yet to see anyone sell the jackets for the conicals but I know there was a seller on ebay selling custom sewn neoprene items.... I believe he used recycled wet suits and the material was very high quality not the same stuff you see sold for kegs which could easily be bought and modified to work as well by tapering the bottom..

I built a manifold out of pvc and use 24v solenoid valves which also come in 12v and even ac power versions for less than $3 shipped a piece. Ive been using them to control 3 conicals for just about a year now and they work very well. there are some pics of my setup and conical cooling setup below in my build thread if anyone wants ideas... The whole setup minus the conicals themselves as well as the chiller was under $200 to fab up.

I used the diagram below to make my manifold from and I have an extra port for a 4th conical I havent added yet.

View attachment GLYCOLGUIDE.pdf

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about getting rid of the whole setup. It's a shame that it's 90% complete for temp control, but missing a crucial part. And I spent too much to wrap a towel around it. I'm really surprised as brewtech can't track one down for me.
I just bought a SSjacket for my brewbucket You have to order it from a Canadian company. Took only a week to get it. $46.99. Mine arrived today. Great company to deal with
Here is the site. https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/

Hold up, all this over a piece of neoprene. Gentlemen this is an easy fix. For $31 I can buy a large neoprene 3mm thick sheet. You then just need to measure the circumference at the top middle and bottom of conical, followed by the top of the cone. Use a ruler and Mark out your point on the sheet. Use the straight edge to connect the dots. Then cut out the pattern. Now wrap the conical in your cut out material and mark for your fittings. Cut appropriate holes. Test fit again. Now you can either find a sewing machine if you want it to look real fancy or just bust out a needle and thread and see the seam. Hell you could even stitch in a zipper. We build brew rigs with sanitary welding a advanced control circuits, but you can't cut out and stitch together a piece of neoprene?

Instead of stitching, you can use neoprene cement. Works fine for repairing wetsuits.

That’s exactly what I did on my fermenators. Works great if you put effort into bring careful while cutting. And the foul tape blends well with the wrap.

Back