Mini deep freezer to cool a fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneticjim

Reaction score
Hey all.
There is a local sale for a used mini deep freezer for 50 obo. I am looking to build a fermentation chamber. How big do you think I can go if I insulate the chamber well.

It's a stand-up freezer. Here is a pic
00E0E_dXFcHmYjhRY_1200x900.jpg

The size chamber that unit will support has a few variables.

Ambient temp, how cold you want the chamber for lagering or cold crashing.

With that said, I don't really have an answer for you, but I will say I think it would be a helluva lot easier and cheaper just to start with a large enough unit to support your needs rather than building something.

Watch craigslist for a bigger freezer or refrigerator is my opinion.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear....

The size chamber that unit will support has a few variables.

Ambient temp, how cold you want the chamber for lagering or cold crashing.

With that said, I don't really have an answer for you, but I will say I think it would be a helluva lot easier and cheaper just to start with a large enough unit to support your needs rather than building something.

Watch craigslist for a bigger freezer or refrigerator is my opinion.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear....

I appreciate your input. I passed on it and found a 15 gallon keg and I bought it instead. I need a good HLT

Ok good on you! For the record, I think keggles make lousy heating vessels as the bulky bottom chine makes them inefficient energy wise. A $90 (shipping included) 15 gallon stainless kettle will pay for itself in time considering heating demand and you don't have to cut the top off....sorry jmo

Save the keg for fermenting or serving, they work great.

I made and use a fermentation chamber with which I ferment 12-13 gallons of ale or lager in, using a similar sized freezer. I completely stripped the freezer cabinet and built a chamber using 3/4 plywood sheathing, 1"x3" framing and 2" hard insulation (polystyrene I think, bought it at Home Depot). The area it is in has an ambient temp that ranges from about 78 F down to maybe 53 F. I can make any beer at anytime but prefer to make lagers in the less humid times of the year to cut down on condensation.
Those small freezers (I used a 5 cubic foot model which appears to be what your picture is) have quite a bit of cooling capacity. I believe it would be capable of maintaining even lager temperatures for a considerably larger amount of fermenting beer.
For heat I use a reptile cage strip heater (or something like that, seem to forget the actual trade name.
BTW, I ferment in 15.5 Gal Sanke kegs using a thermowell so am using the internal temperature of the wort. It works very well and it helps me make some very good beer.

Back