Good idea, or waste of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just made a batch of slow cooker apple butter and was left with all of the peels. I have this peeler gadget that peels the apple as you turn the crank. I used about 20 or so apples.

So, I put the peels in a ziploc and froze them.

Next batch of cider I was thinking of adding them to the primary. To minimize infection I'll add them a day or two after pitching. I may even put them in a hop bag to make for easy cleaning. They'll probably be in primary for a couple of weeks.

So do you guys and gals think this is a good idea, or waste of time?

You could add K-meta to the juice and the peels 24 hours before pitching the yeast. I imagine that the added peels will add interesting complexity to the cider - so IMO, this is a good idea. Moreover, you may want to try your hand at a scrumpy - making the cider using the wild yeasts on the peels - in which case you would not add K-meta.

Thanks bernardsmith.

I'm not brave enough to use wild yeast since I usually do 3 or 5 gallon batches. However I may try a one gal batch.

I forgot to mention that we picked all the apples from a local orchard and used a few sweet varieties along with some cooking types.

If anyone is interested I will report back. I will be using a diff juice source so I may not be able to compare with previous batches.

I just saw an "apple peel" wine recipe yesterday. Water, peels, sugar and yeast. Kind of like using crab apples to make wine; ir doesn't take very much.

Back