Help choosing a Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panaceabeachbum

Reaction score
I am ready to make the move from multiple carboys to a conical fermenter after 25 years and would like some recommendations.

I tend to brew the same Belgian recipe that I like year after year but would like to move to nicer easier to use and sanitize equipment. Price isnt really a factor but quality is .

I see quite a few options in the 1/2 bbl size that range in price from $600 to a little over $3k. I don want to waste money but I would like to make this a one time purchase for a nice piece of equipment that will give me a good 25 years of service.

Please advise on a good middle of the road to high end fermenter that you would buy if you were not funds limited and making a lifetime investment

Im in no particular hurry and have read great things about Spikes.

I have a walk in cooler that I can control temp in.

Thanks Richard

I can only speak from what I have.. I have four different brands of conicals and the 12.5gallon stout conical is my oldest and favorite. It's polished so easy to clean and made of very thick stainless with sanitary fittings.. no weldless fitting to have to clean like the Ss brewing ones I bought for my brewing buddy and the blichmann ones use.. There are better conicals I'm sure bit for less than $400 shipped I'm happy with mine a couple years later.. there been around for a long time and replacement seals are very reasonably priced.

Thank You for the input I am reading over their site now. The spikes reads very well but looks like it will be a while before the 1/2 bbl is available. I like the clamp lid and welded fittings of the stout, I may order the 20gal in am. Thank again

I have 3 ss brewtech brewmasters. 2 in 7 gallon, 1 in 14.

I do feel I have to take out the sample valve at a minimum to clean it, but I do my heavy duty cleaning with a CIP ball. To be honest even if I take out the sample valve, and the coil, its maybe adding 15 minutes to my cleaning. In the big picture of things, I dont see that as all that much.

I was very torn recently when I purchased my two new 7 gallons to go with brewershardware ones, but since I use glycol to cool mine they were simply going to be too much for my budget. However if I had a fridge for them that would be one choice as well as More beers conical .

I was not familiar with Brewers hardware, very nice looking conical. When I posted I had more or less decided on the 100l apex, glad Im not an impulse buyer

as far as cooling options... It may not be pretty but blue 1 1/2" discharge hose wrapped around the outside of the conical with a jacket made of double faced foil bubble wrap works very very well for my 3 conicals with my glycol chiller and 24v heating strips that I control with stc1000 units. I have a coolzone cooling jacket on my stout conical which works well too but it was about $75 as well. The one they sell for the carboys fits perfect on the 12.5" diameter stout conical. By the way the narrow conical works better than my shorter wider units in the fact that I get more headspace height and less likely to have trub blowoff issues.

I was looking at chillers but I have a customer that installs walk in coolers for the seafood industry who has given me a new cooler with 4'x4' interior, I just have to buy a condenser and pay him for install so Ill only be $800 in for a walkin.

Construction crew coming to put up a new building for my dedicated brew-house (shack), 20x24' in November so I have a little time to get my equipment together. The crew is done with a new 4" well into the aquifer that feeds Wakulla Springs, the slab for the building is done with drains and Ive swapped out some machine work with a company that does Stainless restaurant kitchen counters and sinks to do back splashes, counters and sinks.

I know it will be a slow process but Im looking forward to getting my idea of the ultimate personal brew house set up over the next 6 months.

Any other eqiup manufacturers I should look at for fermentors?

I was looking at chillers but I have a customer that installs walk in coolers for the seafood industry who has given me a new cooler with 4'x4' interior, I just have to buy a condenser and pay him for install so Ill only be $800 in for a walkin.

Construction crew coming to put up a new building for my dedicated brew-house (shack), 20x24' in November so I have a little time to get my equipment together. The crew is done with a new 4" well into the aquifer that feeds Wakulla Springs, the slab for the building is done with drains and Ive swapped out some machine work with a company that does Stainless restaurant kitchen counters and sinks to do back splashes, counters and sinks.

I know it will be a slow process but Im looking forward to getting my idea of the ultimate personal brew house set up over the next 6 months.

Any other eqiup manufacturers I should look at for fermentors?
you will still need to have temp control for the fermenters in the walk in cooler unless you plan on keeping all your fermenters always at the same temp? many like to ramp and do dicetal rests and then theres the different fermantation temps for lagers vs ales... you could just add heating strips to the ones you want to be warmer but it would be fighting your cooler compressor.

I have 2 brewershardware 14G conicals 1 jacketed 1 nonjacketed... very well made, and nice features as well. Something to consider. rated @ 15PSI on the jacketed.

I have had a 40 gal stout conical for 4 years - I am very happy with it for reasons similar to those listed by auggiedoggy. I am planning to downsize my brewery from 30 gal batches to 10 gal batches so will be selling it this winter. I am still trying to decide whether to buy a small conical or go back to white buckets. I am following all these discussions re: conicals.

I have the Stout 7.3 Gallon and have had no problems putting 10 batches over the last year through it.

Since OP mentioned money not being a concern the only thing I'd point out is pressure ratings. The cheaper conicals have simple lid clamps that can only hold a few PSI before leaking past the oring.

Granted the pressure rated ones like Glacier etc seem to be about 2-3x the price(might be cheaper brands IDK), so that's something you have to weigh.

I have cheap conicals and love them, but I do wish I could use a spunding valve setup and try out pressure fermenting // completely O2 free transfers aging etc.

Since OP mentioned money not being a concern the only thing I'd point out is pressure ratings. The cheaper conicals have simple lid clamps that can only hold a few PSI before leaking past the oring.

Granted the pressure rated ones like Glacier etc seem to be about 2-3x the price(might be cheaper brands IDK), so that's something you have to weigh.

I have cheap conicals and love them, but I do wish I could use a spunding valve setup and try out pressure fermenting // completely O2 free transfers aging etc.
Just my experiences on it but I have done 2 pressure transferred beer this way with my conicals. one with the conical thats identical to yours and one with my stout conical... I did not see any discernible difference between those and any other brew if done so I stopped doing it. I think its another one of those things which makes sense in theory but just not worth the effort in a home brewing environment but maybe others have had different experiences?

if money was not an issue I would get a jacketed one myself. other factors like wheels and such depend on the buyer and intended use.

Woah... Please buy the Glacier. No one has that conical at all. You would be one of very few who have that one.

We've been using one of these for several years now and really like it. It will take 5 psi and allows kegging under pressure. Right from the fermenter tap to the OUT valve of your CO2 filled keg. It has a 3 " opening in the top of the lid for adding yeast or dry hopping. The 1.5" butterfly valve is great for dropping trub. Everything is tri-clamp sanatary fittings. Beautiful construction.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/morebeer-14-gallon-stainless-conical-fermenter.html

Just an FYI you can get that conical direct from the manufacturer in China on alibaba as well. Same with the one brewers hardware sells...
If I was going to drop that kind of dough on a simple 15-20 gallon conical I would at least want it to be American made ... unfortunately Toledo metal spinning is the only company I know of that made home brewing sized conicals in the states and they made them for blichmann and spike bit now spike has them made I. China and does final assy work themselves in the states.

Just an FYI you can get that conical direct from the manufacturer in China on alibaba as well. Same with the one brewers hardware sells...
If I was going to drop that kind of dough on a simple 15-20 gallon conical I would at least want it to be American made ... unfortunately Toledo metal spinning is the only company I know of that made home brewing sized conicals in the states and they made them for blichmann and spike bit now spike has them made I. China and does final assy work themselves in the states.

Wait... Glaciers jacketed conical is from China? I didnt know that.

Wait... Glaciers jacketed conical is from China? I didnt know that.
Im not going to search for it now but a manufactuer has a store on alibaba... they offerered more accessories with thiers but with the shipping the savings for one was only a few hundred bucks... its when you buy them in bulk like glacier does that they are cheaper. I am 90% sure they are the same conicals... I know glacier makes most of thier own stuff but often many large suplier/manufactuerers import and rebrand some of their product lines and accesories.. like a chevy spark which is really a deawoo made in Korea or the mazda made fords... (That reference is for sconnie12).

Im not going to search for it now but a manufactuer has a store on alibaba... they offerered more accessories with thiers but with the shipping the savings for one was only a few hundred bucks... its when you buy them in bulk like glacier does that they are cheaper. I am 90% sure they are the same conicals... I know glacier makes most of thier own stuff but often many large suplier/manufactuerers import and rebrand some of their product lines and accesories.. like a chevy spark which is really a deawoo made in Korea or the mazda made fords... (That reference is for sconnie12).

Wow... Mind Blown:eek:

I talked with Matt at Glacier tanks a couple of times today, he seems very passionate about brewing.

He was telling me they make these (the 15gal I ordered) in an overseas plant and they are made to Glacier spec with one of their guys on site (in China I assume) full time. We didnt discuss their other tanks.

He also mentioned that there were 10 of the 15gal jacketed Conicals, Sam Adams bought 9 for a "pilot project" and I ordered the remaining one today.

I'll post a few pics in a few weeks when it arrives.

I talked with Matt at Glacier tanks a couple of times today, he seems very passionate about brewing.

He was telling me they make these (the 15gal I ordered) in an overseas plant and they are made to Glacier spec with one of their guys on site (in China I assume) full time. We didnt discuss their other tanks.

He also mentioned that there were 10 of the 15gal jacketed Conicals, Sam Adams bought 9 for a "pilot project" and I ordered the remaining one today.

I'll post a few pics in a few weeks when it arrives.
Cool, I'm suprised that Glacier allows the plant in china to sell direct for less on alibaba... I'm guessing its likely due to the cost savings with shipping from china not being substantial unless multiple conical are ordered.

In any case this is how MANY companies work... They manufacture SOME of their products and import others and rebrand hoping most consumers will just assume they are American made by them because it has their name on it. They may or may not have designed the product that others manufacture. I see it every day with my customers at work and yes even some of my employers. Theres honestly nothing wrong with it as long as they do like glacier does and keep a good eye on quality control, Many of these companies keep someone in china to regulate and preform quality control checks since the manufacturers will often cheapen the product as soon as they can for higher profits themselves if allowed to.

But it should be mentioned that if your the type of guy whos choosing a $2,000 15 gallon conical over a $600.00 15 gallon conical because you believe the more expensive one was made in the USA by American workers and with higher manufacturing costs well your being played by the system.

If you doing so as an educated consumer for other reasons like the jacket and high pressure capabilities like you are then thats another thing altogether. :mug:

panaceabeachbum. please post up photos or a video when you get it. Glacier has horrible photos and they, I'm sure, do no justice for the actual product.

Oh yeah... And we are still waiting for Spike to come out with their conical. I wonder what is taking so long! Christmas Present Anyone?;)

Yes I'm very familiar with alibaba and the entire process with customs on both ends and the shipping involved.

Beside all the necessary steps for payment and import there is a huge difference in delivery time from Washington to Florida and the slow boat from China.

I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from overseas and unless you can fill a container there is usualy no major cost savings.

I based my decision on features, construction and being able to source in the US, regardless of country of origin.

panaceabeachbum. please post up photos or a video when you get it. Glacier has horrible photos and they, I'm sure, do no justice for the actual product.

Oh yeah... And we are still waiting for Spike to come out with their conical. I wonder what is taking so long! Christmas Present Anyone?;)

Could also be waiting on the supplier in china since that where hes getting the conical tanks made now too before doing finishing fab work inhouse themselves so quality will no doubt be high... Apparently Toledo metal spinning is just too pricey to make them in the states for him anymore. I believe blichman has the only american made homebrewing sized conical at this point and its not even very good because of the silly weldless fittings.

Could also be waiting on the supplier in china since that where hes getting the conical tanks made now too before doing finishing fab work inhouse themselves so quality will no doubt be high... Apparently Toledo metal spinning is just too pricey to make them in the states for him anymore. I believe blichman has the only american made homebrewing sized conical at this point and its not even very good because of the silly weldless fittings.

I believe this is the case. Seems like they recently mentioned waiting on production samples from China before pulling the trigger with mass production. I have been eyeballing Spike's since it is a full sanitary design at a very reasonable price. The companies other offerings have been very solid as well. It makes me regret a little buying SS Brewtech's kettles instead of Spike's welded and customizable design. :(

edit: grammar

Anyone ever tried sourcing a homebrew size conical from alibaba I aas thinking getting a 1/2 barrel size but dont want to spend 600 bucks on SS cronical

I've looked you save a little money, but it is more the uncertainty of what you're getting. I would rather spend a little more and get a trusted brand that if I have problems I have a recourse to fix the problem. i.e. spike, stout tanks, ss brewtech, etc. They are all know for having stellar customer service but sell a Chinese product. Just my 2 cents. Others may feel different

when I bought my 12.5 gallon conical I got it from ebay.. The seller used to order them in large quantities from china and resell them cheap.. I got mine for $300 including shipping and it came with a real butterfly valve = a sanitary ball valve the tc fittings and an extra seal... I have seen the exact same ones on alibaba.

I have ordered from alibaba before myself just never a conical... I ordered a powersupply board for my old 50" samsung plasma after discovering there were none in the states... I did so at like 10pm and was very pleasantly surprised to see it show up on my porch 2 days later from china. I have not seen the same kind of dhipping times from all the stuff I have ordered on alibabas retail site aliexpress which is more geared for single orders.

Glacier conical is tracking for delivery tomorrow, the 25th, ordered it a couple of days after 2 kettles from Spikes, looks like conical will arrive first. YAY

SpikeBrewing
‏@SpikeBrewing
@BiologistRyan slowly but surely... Pre-production samples are due in this week!
12:06 AM - 24 Oct 2016

Good news. Cant wait to see these.

Me too, I have another project that I need a 14gal non jacketed conical for, hopefully wont be to long or Ill go ahead with my plan to order the 20gal from Brewers Hardware

Conical arrived from Glacier today, very well crated and in perfect condition. I had high expectations and on first inspection Im very satisfied.

It appears everything was included other than a few small issues,

1)The fitting for the racking arm and valve is a 2.5" and someone mistakenly put a 2"x1.5"reducer instead of the 2.5"x1.5" in my order.

2)To assemble as designed 8 qty 1.5" Clamps are required, it came with 7

Neither of these are big issues and Matt at Glacier is getting the necessary parts out this week.

The description of the 15 on the site say custom CIP arm and spray ball included but when I called today I was told the 15 doesnt included a spray ball.

With the few small issues out of the way Ill let the photos explain the good points, the pics do not do this fermentor justice, Ill try to post some better quality pics this weekend when we wrestle this 300 pound beauty off the pallet.

co1.jpg

co2.jpg

co3.jpg

co4.jpg

co5.jpg

co6.jpg

co7.jpg

co8.jpg

co10.jpg

co11.jpg

co12.jpg

Back