Drilling holeS in the side and front of chest freeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer2B

Reaction score
I' m new to posting and this might not be where to ask /but I'm trying to find out information to build a Keezer out of a 5.0 cubic chest freezer and I want to know if it is OK to Drill holes in the side and or the front of chest freezer for placement of the temperature probe. I do not care that I void the warranty on the new freezer. I know it can be done and I know that I DON'T want to drill into the coolant lines and ruin the chest freezer ( I even called the manufacture for help and they wouldn't give me info where the lines went through the chest freezer walls because of liability's they said)

And I have the manual and from drawing schematics it appears that all the gas lines in and out are located in the back wall of the freezer. But I would like to know from someone who has experience so I can know for sure.

Is there anybody here that has a clue about doing this :mug: or has done it ?
Please help if you can. THANK YOU !:mug:

I don't think there is any way to make a generalized statement of where you need to drill. To be honest its a crapshoot. When the freezer is running, you can feel the heat generated. Maybe find an area that is not hot? Again, its a crap shoot. For my keeezer I didn't drill any holes in the sides. I keep my tank and reg. inside and ran my tower cooler power line through a preexisting access.

I think most folks would advise against drilling into the unit. As porter said just build a collar and drill into that. There are a lot of DIY instructions on how to do that. I am also curious about the temp probe. On mine I have an analogue probe that's on a copper wire. I just draped it over the side of the keezer and it seals fine. Is yours some different setup?

I went a different route. I bought a dual tap pillar and then drilled the top of the lid. I haven't seen many people do that, but it works for me. I can post pics if you like.

You could get a meat thermometer with a cord at Bed Bath and Beyond. Just put the end in the fridge and the cord should be thin enough to make a good seal.

I went a different route. I bought a dual tap pillar and then drilled the top of the lid. I haven't seen many people do that, but it works for me. I can post pics if you like.
Thanks for replying to my post and yes when you have the time - I would like to see some of those pics. Thank you !

My first kegerator was a full size fridge taps right out the door. Worked great. No foaming ever.

My 2nd I did the whole fancy keezer, collar, marble top, wood sides, with a 4 tap coffin box on top. Looked awesome, but the temp difference between the top of the box where the taps were and the keezer temp I always had foaming issues the first few pours til the taps approached the temps of the beer coming out. No matter the line lengths I used. Never got around to trying the PC fan mod to circulate cold air up into the box. Mostly got around the issue by using pitchers.

Now my new kegerator is a big milk cooler and since there are two doors, a top opening one and a front one and its taller than a freezer and will hold sanke kegs no refridgerant lines in the doors. I'm just doing taps right out the front door.

I have a single tap tower I use for an outdoor trash can 1/2 bbl kegerator. Same deal, until the tap gets cold there is foaming. But once it cools down and beer keeps getting poured its OK after that.

You could get a meat thermometer with a cord at Bed Bath and Beyond. Just put the end in the fridge and the cord should be thin enough to make a good seal.
I came up with another idea - I'm just going to use it as it is and buy an all in one temp controller that you plug the freezer into that then turns the freezer on and off as needed. As for securing the temp controller probe to the inside of the Frz. I'll use some Aluminum furnace 1" wide duct tape and mount the temp probe by passing it between the lid and freezer wall down on the shelf side of Frz. and secure it there with the duct tape.
As for the Frz. control I'll mount it to the side of the Frz. below the lid with some pressure sensitive foam and hide the AC-cord inside a self adhesive cable hiding enclosure -should not look bad. Then I'll put everything inside (CO2 tank & keg)-including the basic tap which I already have that fits on the out valve (ball type) and has a hose between the tap to the kegs valve out side. I'll just use it like this--I don't have that many visitors and I don't mind opening the lid on Frz. that much occasionally = no holes anywhere and no framing or drilling for tap equipment = not a fancy setup but for me a practical solution that doesn't void any warrantys..... just a few thoughts & thank you all for ideas.

I' m new to posting and this might not be where to ask /but I'm trying to find out information to build a Keezer out of a 5.0 cubic chest freezer and I want to know if it is OK to Drill holes in the side and or the front of chest freezer for placement of the temperature probe. I do not care that I void the warranty on the new freezer. I know it can be done and I know that I DON'T want to drill into the coolant lines and ruin the chest freezer ( I even called the manufacture for help and they wouldn't give me info where the lines went through the chest freezer walls because of liability's they said)

And I have the manual and from drawing schematics it appears that all the gas lines in and out are located in the back wall of the freezer. But I would like to know from someone who has experience so I can know for sure.

:tank:I came up with another idea - I'm just going to use it as it is and buy an all in one temp controller that you plug the freezer into that then turns the freezer on and off as needed. As for securing the temp controller probe to the inside of the Frz. I'll use some Aluminum furnace 1" wide duct tape and mount the temp probe by passing it between the lid and freezer wall down on the shelf side of Frz. and secure it there with the duct tape.
As for the Frz. control I'll mount it to the side of the Frz. below the lid with some pressure sensitive foam and hide the AC-cord inside a self adhesive cable hiding enclosure -should not look bad. Then I'll put everything inside (CO2 tank & keg)-including the basic tap which I already have that fits on the out valve (ball type) and has a hose between the tap to the kegs valve out side. I'll just use it like this--I don't have that many visitors and I don't mind opening the lid on Frz. that much occasionally = no holes anywhere and no framing or drilling for tap equipment = not a fancy setup but for me a practical solution that doesn't void any warranty's..... just a few thoughts & thank you all for ideas. Carry on team
Is there anybody here that has a clue about doing this :mug: or has done it ?
Please help if you can. THANK YOU !:mug:
tada

Its been a few months and I decided against drilling holes in the side of my freezer and I made a collar --it just made better sense and my Keezer a.k.a. project became a FREEGERATOR and I'm very well pleased with it... it gets the job done ! :mug: I did not put taps or handles in because of little ones around who might (would) empty the kegs on the garage floor - equals one mad wife to boot if that were too happen ( oh-well maybe someday):rockin:

Thanks to all at Homebrewtalk who gave input and provided posts and videos to help !
I included some pics with this post showing project start to finish.
cheers:tank:
Again a big thank you goes out !!!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Back