Yeast Starter on a Stir Plate - Time Lapse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd share. I used my GoPro to take a pic every 10 seconds for 12 hours overnight, to see if I could capture the fermentation in my yeast starter.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8TXMCe0d_s&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

So THIS is what happens when we're sleeping :)

Ron

No math guru but if I calculated correctly seems like High activity was 130, min in. Doug will be along o correct me soon enough if that's wrong.

Not as active as I thought it would be, but thanks for going to the trouble of recording this. I'm always concerned if my little guys are finished with their dance because I never see any action. Now I know that there's not a lot going on.

Hey guys, for those who asked, this is White Labs WLP090, the San Diego "super yeast".

This is really cool. Thanks for posting. Really makes me feel stupid for leaving starters on the stir plate for much longer than 12 hours.

For context how much yeast, water and DME (or what SG wort) did you use? It looks like about 600 ml?

This is .6l of water and about 60g of dme. Was targeting 1.040 but didn't measure. It's one vial of the wlp090.

Check out the beginning shots vs the end. It's funny that I get a starter spinning and come down the next morning and wonder if it actually did anything!

Check out the beginning shots vs the end. It's funny that I get a starter spinning and come down the next morning and wonder if it actually did anything!

Same. And any time I wonder that I just leave it longer thinking... huh everyone says high krausen maybe it just hasn't spun long enough?

Back