How much SS tubing in a HLT HERMS coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
I am thinking about my next upgrade and have read some sites where they sell 50 foot coils but their finished products looks like they have much much less. How much SS tubing is everyone putting in the HLT. I use a 15 gallon brew kettle but mostly do 5-7.5 gallon all grain (cooler mash tun) batches. Thanks in advance!

I've seen most companies offer 50' length. I would like to hear what people say for how short you can go before loose heat transfer capacity. Its basically the opposite of immersion chillers, but the temperature differential is smaller. Once its running, if the HLT is 5 degrees hotter than the mash, it wouldn't matter that much as long as the mash is consistent. It almost makes sense to use a shorter coil in that respect because the hot liquor would be closer to sparge temp when the time comes.

TLDNR: following

I switched from 25' of 3/8 to 50' of 1/2. I get better flow and faster temp rise. Look at stainlessbrewing.com. Good products and pricing. Delivery times can take a little bit.

If your doing a step mash you'll want as much heat transfer capacity as possible. You need to consider your mash temp will lag behind your wort temp. My buddy went with 25' of coil and he struggles to ramp up in a reasonable amount of time

I am thinking about my next upgrade and have read some sites where they sell 50 foot coils but their finished products looks like they have much much less. How much SS tubing is everyone putting in the HLT. I use a 15 gallon brew kettle but mostly do 5-7.5 gallon all grain (cooler mash tun) batches. Thanks in advance!

I think it would be disingenuous to advertise a 50 coil and then ship something less. My coils are 49-51 feet plus the two 14" leads. Keep in mind that it's a little hard to picture but 16 loops with a coil diameter of 12" is all it takes to make 50'.

I chopped about 4 coils off a 50ft immersion chiller to make my herms

herms_simple1-67465.jpg

fwiw, I bought a 50' x 14"d x 1/2" hex from stainlessbrewing.com and it's definitely all of 50'+ in length.

Pretty as heck, too. Serious blingage :D
They do good work...

Cheers!

Not meaning to hyjack this thread but think it's been answered so will say it. Why if heat transfer is a concern don't you use copper. It has a way better heat transfer rate then stainless. The amount that home brewers actually use it won't cause oxidation or break down issues. After all we use our chillers just as much and there all copper.

Fair question. I think it's a matter of compatibility, durability - and ease of maintenance.

Copper (or more likely, the zinc that seems present in all but the purest copper) is beneficial to yeast, and it has always been a recommendation to have a least a short section of copper on the hot side of a brewery (note that "they" are talking about inches, not many feet).

But, copper is often and easily contaminated with verdigris, a definitely poisonous substance. And cleaning a HEX to remove it would be a pita for me.

Fortunately, in this application one can make up for the lower thermal conductivity by using a longer hex.
Which is pretty much why most of us are using 50 foot coils...

Cheers!

Fair question. I think it's a matter of compatibility, durability - and ease of maintenance.

Copper (or more likely, the zinc that seems present in all but the purest copper) is beneficial to yeast, and it has always been a recommendation to have a least a short section of copper on the hot side of a brewery (note that "they" are talking about inches, not many feet).

But, copper is often and easily contaminated with verdigris, a definitely poisonous substance. And cleaning a HEX to remove it would be a pita for me.

Fortunately, in this application one can make up for the lower thermal conductivity by using a longer hex.
Which is pretty much why most of us are using 50 foot coils...

Cheers!

I thought that John Palmer had basically said that was a myth. And if this is of concern then should I be concerned about my copper manifold. Also wouldnt wort chillers then be a concern for it as well. I guess I didnt really have a concern till now as most older homes before PEX used copper. Just figured if it was safe for drinking water it was safe for beer. Although I guess they also used to say lead was safe for drinking water and we all know how well thats turned out.

Sorry to bring it up again, but I do see people selling 25 ft coils. I imagine if we are talking 10+ gallon batches then 50' makes sense....right?

I thought that John Palmer had basically said that was a myth. And if this is of concern then should I be concerned about my copper manifold. Also wouldnt wort chillers then be a concern for it as well. I guess I didnt really have a concern till now as most older homes before PEX used copper. Just figured if it was safe for drinking water it was safe for beer. Although I guess they also used to say lead was safe for drinking water and we all know how well thats turned out.

Missed this, but as long as I'm here: not sure what Mr Palmer might be claiming as a "myth", but with all respect, verdigris is not a myth, it's a poison, and it definitely "grows" on copper under the right conditions - which apparently includes exposure to air. It would grow on my IC between use, and I'd knock it off with Star San before sticking it my BK.

My understanding is verdigris can consist of multiple copper compounds, with effects ranging from minor contact irritation through multi-system problems. Not to be effed around with, imnsfho.

Back to Palmer, I believe he conditioned his benign take on using copper in brewing when said copper has a durable oxide layer that prevents the reaction(s) that cause verdigris to form. But that's not saying "verdigris is safe for contact/consumption", it's actually saying "If you prevent if from forming it's not a problem"...

Sorry to bring it up again, but I do see people selling 25 ft coils. I imagine if we are talking 10+ gallon batches then 50' makes sense....right?

That has always seemed to be the consensus, and that's what I have in my 20g HLT.

brew_stand_02.jpg

The longer the hex the closer the HLT temperature can be to the desired mash temperature...

Cheers!

What is the smallest pot you have seen 1/2" 50' of stainless steel tubing in including a heating element?

I fit one of Bobby's in my e-keggle. My opening was 12.25, I had welded couplers. Dumb luck, Bobby's coil was 12, and the height was spot on to my welded couplers. All I had to do was trim 1" off the leads. I used straight compression fittings.

I had to bend my element down as it is in line with my bottom coupler for the herms.

All fit amazing.

If you used 90 compression fittings in a weldless install, I bet you could squeeze it in a 14" pot, but tightening the lower but would not be fun .

Back