Carbonation Problem/Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitnes10

Reaction score
Okay so I've basically given up on this IPA to carbonate for me. Originally it didn't carbonate. So I tried adding a sugar tablet into each bottle, which means I had to open up every Grolsh bottle and then close it again. Thought I had nothing to loose at that point but still there is no carbonation after 3 weeks after that.

I just want to see people's thoughts on why? I'm not a rookie at this, I made 9 other brews throughout the summer and they all turned out awesome.

Here's the recipe, which on a side note tastes AMAZING, but very difficult to drink without the carbonation.

Citrus IPA

5gal batch, OG 1.066, FG 1.015, ABV 6.63%, IBU 68.9, Color 10.7 SRM

.3kg - Aromatic Malt
.2kg - Cara Pils/Dextrin
4.5kg - Pale Liquid Extract

28.3g - Columbus (60min)
28.3g - Magnum (60min)
14.2g - Simcoe (45min)
7.1g - Simcoe (30min)
28.3g - Amarillo Gold (20min)
21.3g - Falconer's Flight (10min)
.25tsp - Irish Moss (10min)
28.3g - Falconer's Flight (1min)

1pkg - Safale American US-05 yeast

I did a bulk carbonation as usual, using corn sugar, and bottled in the glass Grolsh bottles.

Any thoughts??? I would like to try and make it again but want to make sure it was just a fluke it didn't carbonate rather than a recipe error on my part.

Thanks!

What's the temperature where you're storing the bottles? If it's too cold, that could explain why it's taking so long.

It's always been around the same temp since I started brewing 5 years ago... In between 20 and 23 celcius. I just opened a bottle today to give it one last try and this one had some carbonation, so I'll be interested to try the others now. This is the 1st out of 6 bottles that has shown life.

I actually just got a new pack of washers for the tops. Just put them on my bottles for a brew I'll be bottling tonight. So hopefully that helps out even though these are a different set of bottles, I wanted to put all new washers on all my bottles to help prevent this from happening again. Most of the bottles for my flat beer, were newer but I'm still going to put new washers on them too.

I am just essentially wanting to confirm this recipe is fine and the sugars and yeast are good in numbers to turn out. I know the higher the alcohol %, the yeast needs to be compatible with it to turn out. But i don't this this percentage is too high for the yeast used.

Just want to make sure before trying it again.

How much corn sugar did you use?

Also do you see a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottles? If you do, then they did their thing and it's probably bad gaskets. If you don't then there either wasn't enough corn sugar for them to eat, or the yeast may have been too old, or something like that.

How much corn sugar did you use?

Also do you see a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottles? If you do, then they did their thing and it's probably bad gaskets. If you don't then there either wasn't enough corn sugar for them to eat, or the yeast may have been too old, or something like that.

I believe it's about 170g of corn sugar (if I remember correctly), which ends up being about 3/4 cup.

The good news is, more of them seem to be carbonating, so this batch, unlike all my other batches, just seems to be taking much more time to carbonate. I am though in the process of replacing all my seals of all my bottles, as it's been a while which amounts to a few batches of beer in each. Plus I clean my bottles in the dishwasher, which I know is more harsh on the seals due to the high heat.

Thanks all for the help, preesh!

Back