Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

This one's gonna end my day of commercial beer tasting. I've spread them out across a few hours, so each beer has been fairly "fresh" on my palate. I've had the 120 before, but I was a little drunk by the time I got to it, so I'm sipping this one sober (won't be sober by the bottom of the pint).

Appearance:
Standard DFH 12 oz bottle and label. Deep gold/light amber color, quite cloudy, thin head, not much lace.

Aroma:
This may sound strange, but I get a very strong molasses nose. Despite the heavy hopping, the sweet caramel/malty notes really dominate the aroma. Dark fruit is also present with a strong hints of date, fig, and raisin. American hops are there, but the spicy citrus notes take a backseat to the malt.

Flavor:
Much like the nose. Very sweet, deep fruit and caramel throughout. Bitterness is quite subdued for the advertised 120 IBUs. You really have to concentrate to taste any citrus/spice notes from the hops, though I'm sure they're responsible for some of the fruitiness. Little alcohol bite despite the high ABV.

Mouthfeel:
Thick - almost syrupy with moderate carbonation. Very little heat from the alcohol.

Drinkability:
1/2 a bottle is plenty! It's certainly a unique experience, but it's not one that you need to repeat often. I can enjoy this beer, but I probably won't have another anytime soon.
Expensive pricetag at over $15 for a single! (I actually had to talk the "beer guy" at the store into getting one from the store's "private stock" for me)

Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
MULE
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Maryland
Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Yuri, I agreed 99.9%

I have been lucky enough to try this beer at $11.00 a bottle.
On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 03-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
landhoney

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Palm, FL
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I got two a few days ago for the cellar at $8 something a bottle. Guess it was a good deal. I have not tried this beer yet, going to give it some time, just because I guess.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
CEMaine
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

A brewer friend and I have both tried this and agree, it needs MONTHS in the cellar. Way Way too sweet. No notable hops aromas.

A year or two would do this a whole passel of good.

No matter how much I miss my target, I still make beer.
DBM

Primary 1 - Nada
Primary 2 - Zip
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 - Ocean House Coffee Porter
Kegged - Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011
Bottled -
Drinking - Oak Pond Somerset Lager, October Fest & Nut Brown. Ocean House Coffee Porter. Iron Clad Pale Ale Cascade 2011.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Air Pirate

Recipes 

Dec 2007
K-Rock, Northern Mexico/Southern Texas
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ive had the same experience, Yuri

its good, but not really $10 good.

I think ill try cellaring a bottle for some months and then try it. i think the label actually recommends this too.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a bottle in my cellar that is about a year old. I am itching to try it again now that you posted this... I got this straight from DFH Rehoboth for $10 last spring and have put off the temptation... until Easter!

Mine says, "Age to a decade..." on the label. Is this the normal label?

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Ryan_PA

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Horsham, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

The Age A Decade thing is standard on all labels. I would like to seewhat this would tast like after 5+ years of aging, I was not fond of it after a month in my basement.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Lancaster County, PA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would think the longer aged, the less hop character there is... Kind of defeats the purpose of 120 Minute IPA I think... And probably makes it even sweeter than Yuri is talking.

I haven't drank it out of plain laziness really, not particularly trying to age mine. I'll drink it soon since I am going back to DFH in May and can pick up more if it is OK...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

The quote from my bottle is:

What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Ryan_PA

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Horsham, PA, Pennsylvania
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

It is not the hoppiness that came off as offensive to me. I am a huge PA, IPA, and IIPA fan, my experience with 120 was not good. I have had 90 off the Randall in Rahobeth, and that was very impressive.