DIPA Hop Schedule needed - (Comet/Galaxy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Good morning all – Looking for a DIPA hop schedule. I want to feature the relationship between Comet and Galaxy and supplement with what I have on hand.

On a test run with Comet, I feel it has real potential. Did a Comet / Amarillo pale. Had something that reminded me of apples and honey, but with an underlying earthiness that was itching to be exploited. Galaxy would have clearly been a better pairing.

This is not one of my favorite batches, but the potential for this was definitely there. Obviously one needs to use it wisely, but it seems that something truly unique and wonderful can be created with Comet.

It will be a 5 gal batch and targeting 60 IBU out of the boil and will likely whirlpool at 140°F for 40 min.

Using WLP051 California V yeast. I like what it has done for me and I want to keep using it for now.

Grain bill is undecided, but will probably be a GP/2-row blend with somewhere less than 5% 40L

I need help with the hops.

Here is what I have
Amarillo – 4 oz
Apollo – 4 oz
Citra – 4 oz
Comet – 4 oz
Galaxy – 8 oz
Idaho 7 – 8 oz
Nelson – 4 oz.

What do you think?

Bitter with Apollo. Flavor with Apollo, Comet, Galaxy. Dry hop with Apollo, Comet, and LOTS of Galaxy.

When I made this, I was feeling bold and made a Black IIPA with 3 lbs of huskless black malt. Half midnight wheat, half carafa lll. Some dark crystal too, 12 oz. It was amazing.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Apollo for flavoring, Galaxy is a boss in the DH - I do not have experience with Comet but it sounds interesting. I know from first hand experience that Apollo and Galaxy definitely play well together.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of Apollo for flavoring, Galaxy is a boss in the DH - I do not have experience with Comet but it sounds interesting. I know from first hand experience that Apollo and Galaxy definitely play well together.

Seems things are zeroing in.

So, leaning toward bittering with Apollo as FWH and a smallr 20 min addition.
Galaxy threaded through late boil, whirlpool, and dry hop
Comet in whirlpool and dry hop

How can we grow this?

I would honestly save Galaxy for later additions and DH - it has just an amazing aroma and it is the star of this recipe (or in my mind it is hah!). I like Apollo for bittering and some flavor throughout, with it being a supporting character to the Galaxy/Comet. I would personally do a 2:1 ration of galaxy to the other hops in the WP and DH.

I am liking the simplicity but want to ratchet it up a little bit - any of the others work in this max?

They all "work", all of those are fruity IPA-geared hops. It just depends on what type of hop profile you want. For instance:

galaxy apollo comet - dank resiny citrus
galaxy nelson - tropical wineish dank
galaxy citra amarillo - dankish tropical citrus
galaxy idaho7 amarillo - cleaner tropical citrus

or any combo you want. its not like you can somehow combine these great hops and end up with alcholic poop water

They all "work", all of those are fruity IPA-geared hops. It just depends on what type of hop profile you want. For instance:

galaxy apollo comet - dank resiny citrus
galaxy nelson - tropical wineish dank
galaxy citra amarillo - dankish tropical citrus
galaxy idaho7 amarillo - cleaner tropical citrus

or any combo you want. its not like you can somehow combine these great hops and end up with alcholic poop water

thanks for that guidance. I figured they would not clash, but combos like that help me pick a direction

im sure whatever you come up with will work fine. from tinkering around with galaxy in a number of different brews, ive found that late boil and hopstand additions bring out its more mango tropical flavors where I get a lot more resiny dank character from dry hopping. Depends on the harvest though. I remember the first time I used it, it was very tropical and cleaner smelling when the next time I though maybe I opened a bag of columbus at first

Looking to go dank, resiny citrus, supported subtly by a juicy tropical fruit flavor

found I have an ounce of Azacca as well

I like comet with galaxy.

Or just comet by itself. Here is my all comet APA recipe it is simple recipe I adapted from Russian River's Hop2It for testing hops and I've made it so far with Cascade, Summer, Columbus, Citra, Galaxy, Danali (Exp6227) and Comet (2x). The Comet version is really really good.

10.5 gal to fermenters

18lbs 8oz 2-row (78%)
3lbs 5oz Maris Otter (14%)
1lbs 14oz C20 (8%)

Hop extract 7mL at 60 min (30 IBU, Farmhouse)
Comet 2oz at 15 min (14 IBU)
Comet 4oz in whirlpool (180F for 30 min)
Comet 4oz dryhop

Single step infusion 154F
Yeast is US-05 fermented at 68F

OG 1.056
FG 1.010
ABV 5.9%
IBU (Rager) 55
SRM 5.2

I like comet with galaxy.

Or just comet by itself. Here is my all comet APA recipe it is simple recipe I adapted from Russian River's Hop2It for testing hops and I've made it so far with Cascade, Summer, Columbus, Citra, Galaxy, Danali (Exp6227) and Comet (2x). The Comet version is really really good.

10.5 gal to fermenters

18lbs 8oz 2-row (78%)
3lbs 5oz Maris Otter (14%)
1lbs 14oz C20 (8%)

Hop extract 7mL at 60 min (30 IBU, Farmhouse)
Comet 2oz at 15 min (14 IBU)
Comet 4oz in whirlpool (180F for 30 min)
Comet 4oz dryhop

Single step infusion 154F
Yeast is US-05 fermented at 68F

OG 1.056
FG 1.010
ABV 5.9%
IBU (Rager) 55
SRM 5.2

Recipe not terribly different that what I recently made. It is what really turned me on to Comet. It is a slightly different spin and based on my findings, likely the direction I will take next I use Comet in a Pale - which will be soon.

Tbh I also used challenger in mine just to go along with the space theme. This was also when I was experimenting with skipping flame out and doing a double dry hop.

Hops

Amount Hop Time
0.5 oz Challenger (UK) 90 min
0.5 oz Comet (US) 90 min
2.0 oz Apollo (US) 90 min
0.5 oz Challenger (UK) 30 min
0.5 oz Comet (US) 30 min
1.0 oz Challenger (UK) 10 min
1.0 oz Comet (US) 10 min
1.0 oz Apollo (US) 5 min
1.0 oz Galaxy (AU) 5 min
3.0 oz Galaxy (AU) 7 days