Photo storage/editing software that's FREE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a new desktop. I have been using picasa for years and years, and find that it's no longer available.

I don't do much editing, but I like some of the features of the software as far as organizing by year, and the auto resizing for emailing photos to family.

I downloaded something that I found recommended, zoner something- but it doesn't do the auto resizing for email that I really like.

Are there other free software packages that would have the few things I want with an easy learning curve? I'd appreciate any tips!

Just reinstall Picassa? I can drop a copy of the install package onto dropbox for you if you wish.

I use a few different things. Not sure exactly how "easy" you need it, but Photoscape can do plenty of basic things and it's pretty easy to resize a photo, or even batch them. It's not exactly 1-click, though. It will crop, remove redeye, do some basic touch-up stuff, adjust color and contrast, etc.

I use it regularly for resizing photos to email and to post. I does a bunch of other things as well, like printing to all kinds of photo sizes, combining photos to one image, and more.

not sure if you use outlook for email, or any other non-web-based email

in file explorer, if you right-click on the picture and choose SEND TO then EMAIL RECIPIENT, the first thing it will ask you what size you want to make the sent pic

works the same in Windows Photo Viewer (but NOT Windows 10 crappy Photos app)

Adobe Lightroom is what I use. It's not free though. It does a great job of importing from camera, then automatically organizing into year/month/date folders on your PC. It can automatically publish pics to online photo vaults (I used to use smugmug).

It has tons of features you can choose to use. Tagging pics (tags are stored in the photo metadata) are very useful. E.g., you can search for any pictures of "Mary" and they'll all pop up if tagged accordingly. In fact, it will do face recognition and automatically tag pics of Mary (I haven't tried that).

It has some editing features (fixing redeye, purple fringing from cheap lenses, general exposure and color changes). It will allow you to save in different formats of course, which is necessary if you save all pictures in RAW format (uncompressed).

If you're interested in Lightroom, I've got some digital how-to books. PM me for more info.

Just reinstall Picassa? I can drop a copy of the install package onto dropbox for you if you wish.

I will take you up on that! If you want to PM me the link, I will love you forever!

not sure if you use outlook for email, or any other non-web-based email

in file explorer, if you right-click on the picture and choose SEND TO then EMAIL RECIPIENT, the first thing it will ask you what size you want to make the sent pic

works the same in Windows Photo Viewer (but NOT Windows 10 crappy Photos app)

No, I use Mozilla Thunderbird as I really hate the windows mail live or whatever it's called since I went to Windows 7 a few years ago. I'm using windows 10 on both my desktop and laptop, and kept Thunderbird. Like me, it's simple (and easy). I just liked at file explorer, and that is not one of the options. I really like being able to look at the photos in software- and then editing (simple stuff, like removing red eye, no other stuff), save and email from there. Picasa does that.

I have been using Google Photos for storage. My wife and I set up a special account just for pictures and we can both upload fromm our phones, computers, etc to the same account. You get 15 GB for free and then it is $1.99 per month for 100 GB and $9.99 per month for a TB. We filled up both our Dropbox and OneDrive accounts with pictures and this works much better for us.

We also still use Picassa. Works for what we need. I may move up to Lightroom if I ever get another true DSLR camera and not just use a phone.

Mark

Back