Raisin Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20grit

Reaction score
I've been pondering a raisin nut brown ale, and threw together a recipe for an English Brown.
Brewer's friend seems to think it is in line, style-wise. Any opinions? I've never used special B or Victory. But they seem to be the recommended malts for the flavors I am after. I've also never used Nottingham. I'm a big fan of results I've gotten out of Wyeast 1968, but wanted a cheaper route. And for this style, it didn't seem quite right.

5.5 Gals

8.5 lb Maris Otter (89.45%)
4 oz Crystal 90L (2.6%)
4 oz Special B (2.6%)
4 oz Chocolate (350) (2.6%)
4 oz Victory (2.6%)

1.25 oz Fuggles @60 mins
.37 oz EKG @ 20 mins
4 oz chopped raisins @ flameout

Nottingham Yeast

Per brewers friend:
OG 1.047 FG 1.011 ABV 4.72% IBU 26.91 SRM 17.33
Haven't plugged it into Beersmith yet.

I guess I should ask this:
Are the amounts of Special B and Victory enough to achieve the raisin and nut flavors I'm after? Do I need to up either of them?

I'd consider doubling the special B if you're going for an overt raisin flavor. I've used 4oz in a porter before and it was good but certainly not stand-out raisiny. I'd definitely avoid boiling the raisins, too; I find baked raisins acquire a gross sorta-astringent flavor and I'm not sure if boiling would have the same problem.

Double the Special B. You probably don't need to do anything with actual raisins. If you're set on it, then I would think a secondary addition would work better.

I recently did a Belgian Dubbel with 8 oz Special B in there, and it had a nice flavor. I might also suggest bumping up your Victory to a similar amount.

Thanks, both of you.
After a bit more reading, I had convinced myself to bump both up to 6oz. That puts each up to 3.8%. If that doesn't quite nail it, I can bump up to 8oz. It's just an excuse to brew more beer.

But then there is this other voice in my head saying "go for more starting out!".

I have two beers in line before this one. But, I will try to let you know how it goes.

Back