CO2 Tank Split (Not to a second Keg Though)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewTCranford

Reaction score
I have a kegerator hooked up to a 5 Lb CO2 tank. I've recently purchased a Soda Stream that I want to connect to the CO2 tank. The Soda Stream would require the same kind of connection that the regulator for the Kegerator requires. I'm looking to split the line where the open/close valve is for the CO2 tank and connect both the regulator and the Soda Stream to the tank.

I can't seem to find the needed Y-Split. Any suggestions / help? Is this feasible? Seems like from a pressure / air consumption angle that as long as both aren't in use, it should be fine?

Thanks for your input!

I think you're referring to a wye-splitter, I have one made of brass that cost around $15.00 at my LHBS. I only use a single Co2 regulator screwed onto a #5 tank though. Does the soda stream have to use it's own separate Co2 regulator too, or can you just install the wye fitting in your kegerator line and use that regulator to supply both?

I believe I need something a bit different:

CO2-----Y-----CO2 Regulator-----Kegerator
............|
............-----Soadstream

Needing a piece that creates the Y before the regulator.

The Sodastream needs high pressure, unregulated air. Hoping to find this Y piece so that the kegerator and Sodastream both feel like they are hooked up to the CO2 tank. The Sodastream will not function properly if it receives CO2 at 10PSI from the regulator.

The piece linked above looks like it will create a Y after the regulator if you wanted to run two kegs at the same, regulated pressure?

............|

The Sodastream needs high pressure, unregulated air. Hoping to find this Y piece so that the kegerator and Sodastream both feel like they are hooked up to the CO2 tank. The Sodastream will not function properly if it receives CO2 at 10PSI from the regulator.

The piece linked above looks like it will create a Y after the regulator if you wanted to run two kegs at the same, regulated pressure?

With that diagram above you will be feeding the sodastream with 800 psi of CO2 from the tank. You need a dual regulator as mentioned in your other thread on the same topic.

............|

I have one of those for my welding tanks (picked up from the welding store), both ends feed a regulator though. What type of line are you planning on running to the soda stream? You'll also need a connector to go from what should be a regulator fitting to whatever line you use to feed the soda stream Pressure will vary based on the temp of the tank.

Remove your HIGH pressure gauge, install a Tee (rated for high pressure), reattach the gauge, and add a valve (rated for high pressure) that fits your Sodastream line.

I was thinking that the parts could be used for what he is looking for.

Now I'm thinking about what jleiii said, and use the first "Y" I linked to, put the gauge on one side and a braided hose with a soda stream connector on the other end may work better.

Remove your HIGH pressure gauge, install a Tee (rated for high pressure), reattach the gauge, and add a valve (rated for high pressure) that fits your Sodastream line.

That's the ticket, as long as the SodaStream can handle that kind of high pressure. For that, it should have its own regulator built in.

Any word rremente? I was about to post something myself until I found this thread. Was looking at this: https://weldingdirect.com/c2macoteefic.html which seems to be about the same thing.

Ya weird that the co2doctor freedomone thing that I'm looking at for the sodastream says that it (and the sodastream) want 'full unregulated pressure' from the co2 tank. just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

Thanks for the reminder rockatanskiing. I have been meaning to do this and was able to do it today. The T connector works great. Only thing I had to do was add an o-ring on the connection as it was leaking some air without it. I attached an image of the install. On the left is my high-pressure line to the Soda Stream the right is my regulated line.

Attachments

• t-connector.jpg
    t-connector.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
Thanks. I think I've got a plan. Unfortunately, Co2doctor looks out of business so I've got to see if I can find a deal like you did. Co2doctor's page made it sound like rethreaded competitor ones weren't as safe. Good marketing.... now I have to hunt for something that looks trustworthy and/or cheap

Any word rremente? I was about to post something myself until I found this thread. Was looking at this: https://weldingdirect.com/c2macoteefic.html which seems to be about the same thing.

Ya weird that the co2doctor freedomone thing that I'm looking at for the sodastream says that it (and the sodastream) want 'full unregulated pressure' from the co2 tank. just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

I think the Sodastream has built-in regulators. When you attach their proprietary tank it just snaps right on, so there's something inside the Sodastream that's controlling the pressure and keeping the cheap little plastic device from exploding. I got my wife a sodastream and eventually wanted to pick up the adapters and use a bigger CO2 tank. I can't believe those T connectors are so expensive($20-40?) for a little lump of metal but it is what it is I guess.

Latest posts

Back