Humboldt Hop Rod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Many thanks to Deroux for posting the BYO-published clone recipe for Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. We went for something very similar, but even a bit bigger. Ths was definitely the highest gravity batch we've done in a while, and what a blast it was to brew!

Here's what we did (12 gallon batch):
18 lbs - 2-row malt
6.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
3 lbs Munich malt
1.25 lbs Cara-Pils malt
1.25 lbs Wheat malt
3.5 oz Black Patent
3 lbs amber candi/invert sugar

2.25 oz Columbus(12.2%) - 60 minutes
3 oz Columbus(12.2%) - 40 minutes
2 oz. Centennial(7%) - 30 minutes
1 oz. Centennial(7%) - 10 minutes
We'll be dry-hopping in the secondary with:
1.5 oz Amarillo
2 oz. Centennial

So, that'a a lot of hops and malt. I don't have a hydrometer, but the numbers calculated for this batch were:

OG - 1.086
IBUs - 81.3
SRM - 16

It should end up being over 8% alcohol. A mack truck of a beer if ever there was one. It's fermenting like mad this morning. We used ahalf-gallon starter made 48 hours in advance with White Labs California V.

I'm pretty darn excited about this one :D

Janx said:
Many thanks to Deroux for posting the BYO-published clone recipe for Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye. We went for something very similar, but even a bit bigger. Ths was definitely the highest gravity batch we've done in a while, and what a blast it was to brew!

18 lbs - 2-row malt
6.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
3 lbs Munich malt
1.25 lbs Cara-Pils malt
1.25 lbs Wheat malt
3.5 oz Black Patent

1.5 oz Amarillo
2 oz. Centennial

So, that'a a lot of hops and malt. I don't have a hydrometer, but the numbers calculated for this batch were:

OG - 1.086
IBUs - 81.3
SRM - 16

It should end up being over 8% alcohol. A mack truck of a beer if ever there was one. It's fermenting like mad this morning. We used ahalf-gallon starter made 48 hours in advance with White Labs California V.

Wow!! Nice looking recipe!! Let us know how it turns out!!

What sort of flavors does the rye lend a beer? Does it darken it substantially (like the bread?) Sounds interesting, good luck on that monster! :)

Dry hopped it this weekend. It's still fermenting at a pretty healthy clip ;)

I don't think the rye adds much color. To be honest, I'm not sure what exactly it adds except more diversity to the malt. I had a horrible experience with a stuck rye mash years ago and never used it again until this recipe. This one sparged just fine.

Now, the Wit we made this weekend is another story...

Latest update:

I left it in the secondary with dry hops for 2 weeks. This weekend I racked it to a tertiary fermenter to get it off the hops and let the flavors mellow and soften. It's pretty much finished fermenting, so I was dying to see if it actually fermented completely.

Well, it did. That California V yeast did the trick. This thing is a monster! The hops are insane! There are layers upon layers of them. It has enormous bitterness that still needs some time to round out, but my wife was ready to start drinking it now.

You couldn't perceive the sugar at all, except from the buzz. This is one strong beer. Do not make it if you are hop-shy, but with the enormous amount of hops in the boil and the dry hopping, this is one that the hopheads will really dig.

It uses about twice as many ingredients as a normal batch, but it's well worth it. I made another batch this weekend after I tasted the first one. Strong or no, this stuff is gonna go fast I bet. Cheers! :D

I have plans to brew an ‘extract with grains’ version of this on Sunday (5/8) and had really wanted to try the real thing from Bear Republic. But I figured I’d never find it here in the Chicago area. Lo and behold, I found it at Sam’s Liquors in Downers Grove (my new favorite beer store) yesterday! Bought two bottles, along with a 4-pack of Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. Have yet to try either – that will happen tonight!

I'll be substituting some of the hops in the recipe above with ones I have on hand - for example, Nugget for the Columbus, and Cascades for the Centennial. I’m also using White Labs' Dry English Ale (WLP007) yeast because, after this batch, I plant to brew an Imperial Russian Stout and want to rack it onto the yeast cake from this batch.

I’m really looking forward to sampling the real thing tonight and to see how my version of this turns out in a couple of month’s time! :)

************Epilogue************

Okay, I just had the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye and all I can say is... MmmmBoyHowdee!!! This is one hoppy beer - I love it! Perfect for Summer, IMHO! I really like the Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA, too. But I probably made a mistake in having it after the Hop Rod Rye - it seems maltier, but a bit tamer in comparison. :)

My clone recipe is going for broke - according to QBrew, it's going to end up around 16 SRM's, 8.0% ABV, an OG/FG of 1.079/1.020 and 121 IBU's. I'll believe it when I see - er, taste it!

Janx said:

18 lbs - 2-row malt
6.5 lbs rye malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
3 lbs Munich malt
1.25 lbs Cara-Pils malt
1.25 lbs Wheat malt
3.5 oz Black Patent

1.5 oz Amarillo
2 oz. Centennial

OG - 1.086
IBUs - 81.3
SRM - 16

Wow.. wanna borrow 5 bucks? How in the world can a brewer that takes himself at all serious (as I've noticed you do) do without such a basic piece of equipement.. now you're gonna probably tell us you dont have a thermometer! wow.. amazing.. :D :confused: :rolleyes:

No disrespect meant..

Ken

A final gravity reading for this beast of a beer would have been nice. To each his own, but I can't really imagine brewing without a hydrometer. But I seem to fall on the opposing side of most of Janx's opinions ;) .

rixport said:
Wow.. wanna borrow 5 bucks? How in the world can a brewer that takes himself at all serious (as I've noticed you do) do without such a basic piece of equipement.. now you're gonna probably tell us you dont have a thermometer! wow.. amazing.. :D :confused: :rolleyes:

No disrespect meant..

Ken

Wow, Ken. If you really knew me at all, you'd know I don't take myself too seriously at all, especially as a brewer...which is why I don't bother with a hydrometer. It's all about the fun to me.

I guess I should say, I take the aspects of it seriously that really make my beers better. Gravity readings do not fall into that category. To each his own, and you're welcome to disagree. You won't be the first. ;)

Sorry I missed this guy. He's a spitfire. Did he go the way of the Dodo in my absence?

Janx, why the 12 gallon recipes? I can see 11, to get about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter or keg. But 6 seems like you would be wasting quite a bit because it won't all fit in a keg.

I dryhop in kegs and there is no way I could get 6 gallons in with a hop bag....just curious....

It just seems to be the amount I can conveniently boil and end up with using a converted keg. It varies batch to batch. If the runnings aren't sweet, I cut em off. If they stay sweet, I let em flow and try to boil it down more.

It works really well with the 14 gallon demijohns I use for a primary. It works great with 6 gal carboy secondaries. I almost always get two of those full after whatever is left behind in the primary.

It is kind of a PITA with the kegs. A lot of times, I just get a really light keg that I carbonate up and drink quick. Somethimes, a bigger batch (say if I end up with 13+ gallons) makes for 3 nicely filled kegs. I have a bunch of them so it doesn't end up being a big deal.

I dry hop in the secondary, too, so that helps...

Okay, got ya!

I'm glad you put this link in that other rye thread...I've been wanting to brew this for a long time. I recently got a few more bottles of Hop Rod Rye and after drinking that I think it is time to brew one.

I'm gonna scale down the recipe in Promash and go for it.

Right on. Make your own invert sugar if you're going to use it (I would). There's a thread about it here somewhere if you haven't done it before.

And a rippin starter of the While Labs California V really is the yeast for the job.

wow that sounds good. wish my lauter tun wouldnt have broken in the middle of my rye-PA...but i made some last minute adjustments and turned it into a rye pale ale that is really good so far.

Anyone else brew this batch? I don't see any mash schedule listed at all... I'm really just curious what temps he mashed at... I was thinking 122*F for 1 hour and 152*F for one hour...

I made a few modifications to this recipe (different hops, zest of 2 grapefruits in boil) and brewed it in late September. It's been in bottles for 3 weeks now and is absolutely fantastic - easily the best beer I've ever brewed. This is on the same level as the best commercial IIPAs. Doesn't taste much like Hop Rod Rye (it's less spicy and more floral/citrusy), but I don't care! Thanks for the recipe.

I have plans to brew an ‘extract with grains’ version of this on Sunday (5/8) and had really wanted to try the real thing from Bear Republic. But I figured I’d never find it here in the Chicago area. Lo and behold, I found it at Sam’s Liquors in Downers Grove (my new favorite beer store) yesterday! Bought two bottles, along with a 4-pack of Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA. Have yet to try either – that will happen tonight!

I'll be substituting some of the hops in the recipe above with ones I have on hand - for example, Nugget for the Columbus, and Cascades for the Centennial. I’m also using White Labs' Dry English Ale (WLP007) yeast because, after this batch, I plant to brew an Imperial Russian Stout and want to rack it onto the yeast cake from this batch.

I’m really looking forward to sampling the real thing tonight and to see how my version of this turns out in a couple of month’s time! :)

************Epilogue************

Okay, I just had the Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye and all I can say is... MmmmBoyHowdee!!! This is one hoppy beer - I love it! Perfect for Summer, IMHO! I really like the Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA, too. But I probably made a mistake in having it after the Hop Rod Rye - it seems maltier, but a bit tamer in comparison. :)

My clone recipe is going for broke - according to QBrew, it's going to end up around 16 SRM's, 8.0% ABV, an OG/FG of 1.079/1.020 and 121 IBU's. I'll believe it when I see - er, taste it!

BUMP!
Rubarb, did you ever brew your extract Rye? How was it? Could you post recipe?

I know this is an old thread but...

I brewed this last year and was quite happy with the results. This year I plan on doing it again only this time doing partigyle. For the second batch I plan on doing an oktoberfest with 1 oz hallertau for 60, 0.5 for 30 and 10. I plan on adding up to 5 lb of munich LME to get to the desired OG of around 1.050. This will be my first partigyle brew, and I was thinking it'd be about 70% eff for the first batch and then maybe 20% for the second. If I'm off on it then I have extract to go with anyway.

Back