Did I jump the gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psujeeperman02

Reaction score
I have a session IPA in the primary using a fastfermenter.
After about 14 days, I didn't see anymore activity from the airlock and assumed it was done fermenting. I didn't take a reading because I haven't found the best way to take them using the fastfermenters....it's only my second time using one.

Anyway, I pulled the bottom bulb off after closing the valve, and there were still bubble activity coming from the bottom of the bulb.

I didn't put the bulb back for risk of infection or oxygen.

Question is...did I remove the yeast too early?
I plan on letting it sit in secondary for another week before dry hopping.

Depends how well you pitched, but my low gravity ales ferment real quick, under 1 week, especially with us-05. If we are guessing I think you will be fine at 2 weeks, and it might drop another couple of points in secondary still.
I use a sanitised stainless measuring cup for pulling samples from the top of the fermenter. One of those wine thief things would be better but this method is ok if you arent checking all the time.

2 weeks in primary + 1 week in secondary = it will be done fermenting easily by then. It probably reached FG by 10 days.

If you had enough healthy yeast and a good temperature then 2 weeks is plenty of time for a session IPA to ferment. Heck, my DIPAs get kegged at 2 weeks.

RDWHAHB

Great advice everyone. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about to this point. Will wait a day or two, toss in my dry hops for another week, then keg and carb. cant wait!

You already got good advice, but just as a side note, the beer will have some CO2 in it after fermentation is done and it can off gas for awhile once it's done, so don't trust the bubbles!

Can't say if your beer is done fermenting, most likely it surely is. Removing the bulb of yeast at the bottom of the fermenter should make no difference. The working yeast is still in your beer, not in the bulb at this point of the game...RDWHAHB cheers

I agree with the above, the bubbles you are seeing are most likely dissolved co2 in the yeast bulb.

I didn't take a reading because I haven't found the best way to take them using the fastfermenters....it's only my second time using one.

Congrats on the fastferment! I have one myself and love it! I've done maybe close to 10 brews in it so far. I added a spigot to mine and love it. They offer the spigot with a step bit for $15. My LHBS had them in stock, but I purchased a regular spigot (like the ones for bottling buckets) and used that instead since I already had a step bit at home. The manufacturer has instructions on their website for where they recommend installing it. I followed that and have been happy!

Go this route to get samples for gravity readings and what not. You never have to open the lid again until your ready for dry hops or cleaning it! Cheers! :mug:

Congrats on the fastferment! I have one myself and love it! I've done maybe close to 10 brews in it so far. I added a spigot to mine and love it. They offer the spigot with a step bit for $15. My LHBS had them in stock, but I purchased a regular spigot (like the ones for bottling buckets) and used that instead since I already had a step bit at home. The manufacturer has instructions on their website for where they recommend installing it. I followed that and have been happy!

Go this route to get samples for gravity readings and what not. You never have to open the lid again until your ready for dry hops or cleaning it! Cheers! :mug:

awesome! I will check it out. Going to my LHBS this week.
I wasnt a huge fan of the fastfermenter mainly because of how poorly the lid would seal.
Ive brewed 2 batches with it and never saw activity out of the airlock, even though, the beer was fermenting.
Found out all of the CO2 released from the yeast activity was seeping out of the lid.
Read on this forum to apply a tiny bit of keg lube on the rubber gasket, and crank down the lid very hard, and BAM....no more leaks from the lid and lots O activity from the airlock.

now I love the fastfermenter! :ban:

awesome! I will check it out. Going to my LHBS this week.
I wasnt a huge fan of the fastfermenter mainly because of how poorly the lid would seal.
Ive brewed 2 batches with it and never saw activity out of the airlock, even though, the beer was fermenting.
Found out all of the CO2 released from the yeast activity was seeping out of the lid.
Read on this forum to apply a tiny bit of keg lube on the rubber gasket, and crank down the lid very hard, and BAM....no more leaks from the lid and lots O activity from the airlock.

now I love the fastfermenter! :ban:

Glad to hear! I contacted Northern Brewer (who I purchased it from) and the manufacturer about the same issue. Northern Brewer provided me some of the original gaskets that were foam. This was a two fold problem, one the rubber gasket never stayed in the lid and always fell into the wort when placing the lid on the fermenter. The other problem was the same, it didn't seal properly.

Well NB said to use the foam one to help hold in the rubber gasket and to help create a better seal. The manufacturer sent me a new lid. Both of my problems were solved and received great customer service from both.

Latest posts

Back