Cleaning new keg set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarponteaser

Reaction score
I've been using the same old picnic tap forever and recently invested in the equipment to make a 3 tap keggerator from a fridge.

Do I have to preclean the ball lock fittings, faucets, shanks, and hoses, or just run sanitizer though system via keg with some starsan ?

Thanks

When I bought mine, and they were purchased new, I didn't go to the trouble of precleaning them, and I didn't have any problems with them. If I had bought them used (and I'm not sure you did, but just to be clear) I would have definitely precleaned them.

Thanks, it is all brand new equipment. I'll just measure and cut the tubing to make the 3 pair of hose sets. I've been told 9 feet of the barrier beerline is good for the perlick 630 faucets.

Thanks, it is all brand new equipment. I'll just measure and cut the tubing to make the 3 pair of hose sets. I've been told 9 feet of the barrier beerline is good for the perlick 630 faucets.

New parts don't needed cleaned but I always spray or dip them in StarSan just to get off what is on the surfaces.

9' of line sounds ok... but as you probably know the diameter of the line / pressure and temperature all need to balanced.

I clean all new parts. Some parts still have manufacturing oil and stuff on them. It is easy enough to soak them in a cleaner, rinse then sanitize.

^this^

Along with manufacturing lubricants you'll often find metal machining debris if you take the time to thoroughly clean new components...which is always a good idea...

Cheers!

I just added another faucet to my keezer. I took it apart and soaked it in PBW for 20 minutes, then rinsed in clean water, then dunked in Star-San.

I then dunked the tubing in Star-San, enough to get some through it, and dunked the QD.

Back