Making an Oktoberfest beer at higher temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-18

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was thinking about making an Oktoberfest type beer - since it's not long until October obviousy.
Now I realise that the lagers should be conditioned and fermented for a long time at low temperatures, but I really don't have access to cool down the beer below room temperature (don't have a spare bathtub or frem chamber). I want to build a frementation chamber in the winter, or maybe next year, but until then, it's not really an option to cool it down.

So is it possible to make an Oktoberfest/Märzen type beer with some other type of yeast at higher temperatures?
Or is the best advice really to wait until you could do it properly?:tank:

+1^^^! Excellent beer without the wait and lagering. I used Honey Malt instead of the Aromatic and it came out fine.

BTW, @MX1, thanks for your service! I was station at Carson from '81-85. Ed
:mug:

been atCarson since 2012, will retire from here early next year....

This is my Märzen that I just put air locks on after a week on blow off tubes. I poured it over WLP810 San Francisco Lager yeast cakes and it has been fermenting nicely. I have kept it at around 50 degrees with ice packs. This method isn't set it and forget it, but I enjoy the interaction with my beer. These are two one gallon glass carboys so my method isn't very compatible with kegging. My experience with lager has been that during active fermentation it smells like farts and then as it cleans up smells like Kings Hawaiian rolls. Fun stuff.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back