What the wildest thing you tried to ferment (GF with a yeast infection doesn't count) - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > What the wildest thing you tried to ferment (GF with a yeast infection doesn't count)

Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
jtvinny

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fayetteville, NC

A couple weeks ago after my first brew and cider I looked at everything- gatorade, tazo brambleberry tea, pink lemonade. I still haven't ruled out the tea but I think I might use it in a keg after killing the yeast on a run of apfelwein. That tea is GOOD!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

How do you ferement tea? Does it have starch or sugar?

Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
jtvinny

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Fayetteville, NC

Bottled tea- it's about as sweet as a soft drink.
The Brammbleberry has quite a bit of fruit juice(s) in it and I didn't see any preservatives

Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

I suppose you could measure the gravity to see what the potential sugar is.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
mrfocus

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've thought of what fermenting orange juice would give as an end result... If that counts.
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Someone (Drac0nic, I think) tried fermenting some orange juice once. it was... unpleasant.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts

I'm going to ferment canned cranberry sauce (I bought it, just haven't done it yet) into a cranberry wine. I've made tomato wine out of garden tomatoes, and abanana wine and lots of dandelion wine. Nothing too weird or exotic, but I bet most people around here haven't done that.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Old_Brewer
Recipes 

Nov 2007
Carmine, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On 1-25-86, I noticed that "Natural Fruit Kraft jelly" advertised no preservatives. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) was used as a natural preservative.
I bought a 3# jar, (of grape) added water just to dilute it, then brought it to a boil. Then let it cool.
I added 3 tablespoons of real lemon juice to bring the acidity to .4%
I made the volume to 1 gal. I used Pasture Champagne yeast.
Start SG = 1.050 End SG = 1.118 probable alcohol = 4%
My notes say that it had a good taste, with slight tartness. Not sweet, good at room temp.

Reason: added (ofgrape)

Old 03-15-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3201 Times on 1889 Posts

My nephew, who is the vintner for his beer/winemaking club (2 elections running, so he must be good) dug up somewhere a really old collection of winemaking recipes that were xeroxed and stapled together as a cheap pamphlet at a garage sale and it is full of really odd stuff, including wine from Tomato Juice (urp)

He did an icetea wine from sweetened Ice tea...It was thin and dissapointing, he didn't use the sweetened tea with lemon though (he originally thought it would be too acidic) but in retrospect thought that it would have tasted better with the lemon...

I can't remember all the stuff in the pamphlet but there was some wild wines in it...

My nephew has made some interesting stuff from melting jolly ranchers down into flavored sugar syrup and fermenting that...taste like flavored snapps actually...The cinamon and the sour apple were the best.

Chris Colby from BYO magazine has talked about fermenting mountain dew soda on a podcast....

Here's an interesting Mountain Dew Beer recipe (not colby's) http://www.byo.com/recipe/1331.html

Here's an article in BYO called, "The 10 Wildest Recipes"

http://www.byo.com/feature/1294.html

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
k1v1116
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I once melted and fermented candy cane wine, it had a real kick and was actually quite drinkable. its the perfect use for all those left over candy canes from xmas that were melting on top of the radiator.