Question about bottling my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johow

Reaction score
I brewed a stout on August 1st and pitched a starter of WLP090 on that day. The OG was 1.066 and the FG was to be around 1.014 or so. The fermentation stalled out at 1.030 after about a week and despite my efforts to getting restarted, it hasn't changed in about 3 weeks. I'd like to go ahead and bottle it but I'm worried that 1) there might not be enough yeast to carb it or 2) I will create bottle bombs by adding more sugar. What do you guys suggest?
My efforts to restart the fermentation were, I warmed it up from the ferm temp of 64 degrees to about 70 degrees, after a week I also added half a pack of US-05 yeast. A week later when nothing happened I racked it off the cake to a new carboy where it sits today, still at 1.030. All measurement taken with a hydrometer.

Did you use a bunch of crystal malt? What did you mash at? Did you oxygenate/aerate your wort?

I would think that a starter of San Diego Super yeast that was treated properly would have little trouble plowing through that OG in a few days.

How does it taste? What are you using to measure? If you're using a refractometer, then your FG is off due to the presence of alcohol. You'll need to find an online calculator to get the correct FG.

That's a high FG, especially for that yeast. I've had stouts finish that high, but they contained lactose and used Windsor yeast, which is a low attenuator.

Are you taking the hydro readings at room temp? Are you sure the little paper insert in the hydrometer hasn't shifted? Maybe check it in some room temp water.

Regardless, if it hasn't budged in that long, you can safely bottle it. Never know, might end up tasting really good.

Crystal malt content was 3.1%, I mashed at 155* and did a pour over sparge at 170* (BIAB). Where I think I may gone wrong, I can't remember if I aerated the wort or not. I usually do by shaking the carboy after cooling prior to pitching. Too late now.... My hydrometer checks out just fine in water so I'm pretty sure of my measurements.
It does taste ok if a little sweet. Flavor additions to the ferment after the first week and a half were 1 oz of whole coffee beans and 2 oz of Cacao nibs. It has been racked off of these additions now.
So the question, do you think I'll be ok bottling this now or will I create bombs?

Crystal malt content was 3.1%, I mashed at 155* and did a pour over sparge at 170* (BIAB). Where I think I may gone wrong, I can't remember if I aerated the wort or not. I usually do by shaking the carboy after cooling prior to pitching. Too late now.... My hydrometer checks out just fine in water so I'm pretty sure of my measurements.
It does taste ok if a little sweet. Flavor additions to the ferment after the first week and a half were 1 oz of whole coffee beans and 2 oz of Cacao nibs. It has been racked off of these additions now.
So the question, do you think I'll be ok bottling this now or will I create bombs?
If you are really concerned and/or want to dry it out some more, you could add some CBC-1 yeast and let it ride for another week or so to see if you can get your FG down. Obviously, the WLP090 has done as much as it can do. CBC-1 is nice in that it's pretty neutral and tolerates a fair amount of alcohol.

It's not bad, I don't notice the sweetness, it's a chocolate/coffee stout.
I'm just going to bottle it and see what happens.....

Back