Raising fermentation temp for WLP400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlatLander

Reaction score
Hi,

My kit instructions say to raise the temp from 68F to 72F after 5 days fermentation. I am wondering if the temp should be raised a bit before fermentation has completed or if I should wait for fermentation to be complete before raising the temp. IOW, should I be watching the gravity to raise the temp when there are only 4-5 points left before FG or wait until FG is reached and then raise the temp. I assume that the recommended temp rise is so the yeast can clean up fermentation byproducts better. Does the yeast clean up better before fermentation is complete or while fermentation is still active?

:confused:

The 400 and 410 are awesome wit yeasts and should be treated the same. 68F for 5 days is good for a 1.040- 1.050 OG, go for 7 or 8 for anything higher. The yeast really is clean, and the elevation in temp is to get to finished FG. I'm one of those guys that just let primaries go for 21 days and then check. My buddy will keg this beer in 14 days and serve a week later. Either way it's a quick beer,just know after about 3 weeks(if it lasts that long) it goes clear. I've experienced that most Belgian yeasts have to go to their upper limit to finish.

Hold at 68 for 48 hours. Bump it a degree a day after that. As long as you hold it lower during the growth phase , you can go up to 75 by the end.

The 400 and 410 are awesome wit yeasts and should be treated the same. 68F for 5 days is good for a 1.040- 1.050 OG, go for 7 or 8 for anything higher. The yeast really is clean, and the elevation in temp is to get to finished FG. I'm one of those guys that just let primaries go for 21 days and then check. My buddy will keg this beer in 14 days and serve a week later. Either way it's a quick beer,just know after about 3 weeks(if it lasts that long) it goes clear. I've experienced that most Belgian yeasts have to go to their upper limit to finish.

Are you talking about an upper temperature limit or time? What is the temp limit for WLP400?

Hold at 68 for 48 hours. Bump it a degree a day after that. As long as you hold it lower during the growth phase , you can go up to 75 by the end.

Since today was day 5, I set the ITC-1000 to 72 last night. Seeing a little more airlock activity now but not a whole lot really. Just a blurp every few seconds. There is still a 4 inch cap of krausen on the wort and a good 2 inches of yeasty trub at the bottom.

Since today was day 5, I set the ITC-1000 to 72 last night. Seeing a little more airlock activity now but not a whole lot really. Just a blurp every few seconds. There is still a 4 inch cap of krausen on the wort and a good 2 inches of yeasty trub at the bottom.

That strain tends to produce a krausen that hangs around for a while, occasionally even after it hits FG.

I'm saying that all the belgian yeasts i've used needed to go to their upper temp limit to finish. I take 400 and 410 to 74F to finish.

Thanks. Good to know. Maybe I will raise the temp to 74 the third week in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back