Food grade bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fades47

Reaction score
Howdy!

New to brewing, maybe a dumb question, but in terms of bottling bucket, does it HAVE to be a food grade bucket? I understand for long term storage etc it would be necessary, but if the liquid is only going to be in contact for the bottle session is it worth the extra cost? Thanks!

not a dumb Q; people ask all the time. I don't know if food grade vs. not matters; but typically you won't find the right sized buckets in non-food grade if doing 5 gallon batches. Usually you only find the 6.5 gallon size in home brew shops.

Thanks for the quick replies, seems that it's only really cost saving in the 5 gal size. Those are fine a dozen. No biggy, local brew store has the 6.5 gall I need for less than $20.

Basically I've got my first ever batch of cider going, but only have one fermenter and one carboy, and I'm too impatient to wait to get this batch bottled before I start another! :)

Nice find. I searched Lowe's online last night but didnt see this. Wonder where the 5gal mark is? I'll have to go to the store on Monday. (Working all weekend)

Here's the thing: beer is acidic.
Acids tend to break things down.
Perhaps changing something otherwise benign into something...not so.

FFS, never, ever jeopardize your health or that of others over something like brewing beer.

That'd be unforgivably stupid...

Cheers! :mug:

Back