fermentaion stops too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gok

Reaction score
Started 1 gal AHS German Pilsner, followed instructions in the kit. Saw co2 activity via airlock the same day. Next day fermentation stops. Its 3 days left from the beginning. What i did wrong? Instruction said i should cool wort to 80F, but i think it is too hot for yeast, is it?
Cara Pils Malt,
Extra Pale Extract,
Hallertau hops,
Dry Lager Yeast

Thanks for any advise!

what's the fermentation temperature? sitting at 80* will be too hot.

also, no airlock activity doesn't mean fermentation has stopped!

I feel that too, cannot hold my hands on the pot.
so what is a comfortable temp for dry yeast?

It's not dry or liquid that makes the difference, it's the strain and the species. Most ale yeast should be 60F-68F, and most lagers 50F-58F, as a VERY general rule.

Here's the thing with doing a 1 gallon ferment, it's only 1 gallon of beer. The fermentation dies down when the sugar is eaten up. In 1 gallon that doesn't take very long, especially at the temperature you pitched the yeast. I see this a lot on here with small batch guys wondering why it stops after a day. It's going to slow down when the yeast have nothing more to eat. You should still let it sit for at least a few more days afterward though. Use something rudimentary like a swamp cooler and frozen water bottles (look it up) if you don't have a fermentation fridge.

Back