Would You Use This Old Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On 7/1012016 I kegged a batch of my Sessionable Pale Ale, and I filled up 2, 24 ounce glass mugs with the yeast/slurry at the bottom of each carboy. Both of the glass mugs were properly sanitized in Start Sans. They were placed in my lagering fridge at 34 degrees, both covered with tin foil, and subsequently, forgotten about. I am planning on brewing my sessionable ale again this weekend, and I am contemplating using that yeast. What worries me is the sour caca that has been sitting on top of that beautiful yeast cake now for going on almost 7 weeks. Think that beer that has been sitting on top of the yeast will impart an off flavor to the yeast? I am not overly worried about the yeast being infected as it has been sitting at 34 degrees for this entire duration. Only reason I bring this up is that the yeast is Vermont IPA strain of Giga Yeast, and is a pain in the balls for me to get. What say ye? Use the old yeast and do a starter with what I have, or just use another yeast strain?

Use it. Just decant the liquid on top. That's what I've been doing without any ill effect. Just know that after so long (I want to say 6 generations of reuse) the yeast can get funky.

Use it. Just decant the liquid on top. That's what I do and haven't had any ill effects.

What do you think, starter or no starter? I'm thinking a small one to get the yeast going. Then again, how much of the yeast should I scoop into my flasks for the starter. I would be doing a 2.50 liter starter with 250 grams of XLDME. If I recall correctly, isn't it 1 cup of the yeast slurry?

I don't ever do starters as I typically reuse the slurry within a week. As your slurry has been sitting for a bit, I think a starter is warranted.

Back