Pliny the Elder, this can't be right, can it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
So im going to give Pliny a go, i make a lot of IPA's but the hop bill looks like one i would use on a pale ale. I got this recipe from http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2015/10/pliny-elder-40.html

Have i entered the recipe correctly, the hops just don't seem enough :confused:

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 8.19.04 pm.png

I made that a year ago. Brilliant. Got me hooked on brewing the big IPAs.

Awesome. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to try the real thing, but I have read nothing but rave reviews. Can't wait. I'm starting with 1 gallon and will see how that goes first.

Looks like plenty of hops to me. Make sure to treat your water: 300 SO4, 60 Cl is what I usually go for in a west coast IPA

Rock on. Im going to brew one of these this weekend. Found this recipe from my supplier, also using gladfield.
http://shop.brewtopia.net.nz/produc...ucts_id=599&osCsid=lg4cjb0h959vlrc7d00srjnbl1

Check out the 90 minute addition on this thing - bit of a difference! This recipe is twice the IBUs according to beersmith. I dont know which is correct.

Yeah we have a west IPA challenge coming up soon so i thought what better recipe to use. If you read the notes from the link i posted above the updated recipe doesnt use that much bittering hops, he couldnt tell the difference between the two recipes.

I'll give this a go and see how it turns out, my usual IPA hop bill is around 500-600grams for hops for 21L and my pales 300-400grams. Maybe im getting to the point of no return on the amount im using, don't get me wrong they are full of flavour and aroma.

Cheers!

Here's MoreBeers recipe from their kit. I think it's pretty much spot on.

This is for 5 gallons. The corn sugar gets added at 10 minutes left in the boil, not in the mash.

image.jpg

I brewed this today - booyaa!

I went with the recipe from the link that I posted earlier (http://shop.brewtopia.net.nz/produc...ucts_id=599&osCsid=lg4cjb0h959vlrc7d00srjnbl1). I toyed with the idea of switching to your recipe, but since I don't have Amarillo in stock and I had ordered the carapils in specially for this recipe I figured I'd stick to the original plan. While yours might work out a bit more economical, this version of the recipe comes highly recommended from multiple sources and since I only brewed a gallon it it still cheap.

Brewed a 1 gallon batch, over an ounce of CTZ in the 90 and 45 minute additions this thing is going to be a monster. Mashed at 150 for 90 mins. OG came out at 1.072 which was right where it should be. Fermenting at 19c / 66f.

I'm annoyed with myself that I missed the simcoe addition at flameout - I missed it when entering the recipe into beersmith actually, it got lost amongst the huge list of hops and I only noticed now. I'm hoping I can add some extra Simcoe at the dry-hop point and it should still come out good. It was a big 3oz (on a 5G recipe) addition though.

I'll post some pics / notes once I get to tasting this thing. Would be real interested to see how your version of the recipe comes out as well.

I'll give this a go and see how it turns out, my usual IPA hop bill is around 500-600grams for hops for 21L and my pales 300-400grams. Maybe im getting to the point of no return on the amount im using, don't get me wrong they are full of flavour and aroma.
Wow. I have only brewed one IPA before this, drinking one now actually. Scaled to 21 litres it would be 135g total of CTZ and Cascade. I'm not really an IPA drinker (German beers are more my thing) but this one I'm really happy with. My IPA would be at the lighter end of the scale probably, but it does seem to be a matter of diminishing returns. ie to turn my pretty decent IPA into a great one probably requires doubling or tripling the late hops / dry hops.

If you are regularly using 500-600g for an IPA, that is badass.

i have made a pliney clone and the recipe is pretty damn close. IMO, more hops than this and you are really getting to the point of diminishing returns. Only time i use more t is if my recipe calls for a LOT of whirlpool additions. 300-400g is PLENTY in an ipa if they are placed properly for sure! i would keep your dry hop short and maybe split the dry hops into 2 additions (MAX 3 days). Another VERY important thing to keep in mind when brewing this is exposure to oxygen after primary. I would think about either doing it all in primary or transfer to a C02 flushed vessel for secondary.

Good luck!!

Here's MoreBeers recipe from their kit. I think it's pretty much spot on.

This is for 5 gallons. The corn sugar gets added at 10 minutes left in the boil, not in the mash.

Is this the exact recipe as supplied in their all grain kit? I'm asking as I'm trying to decide if the kit is a better value (especially when there is a sale) then ordering the individual ingredients.

It's been 2 weeks since I bottled this pliny recipe...
http://shop.brewtopia.net.nz/produc...ucts_id=599&osCsid=lg4cjb0h959vlrc7d00srjnbl1

Couldn't wait any longer. Chucked a bottle in the fridge yesterday and tried it tonight.

Overall I'm really loving this beer. 3 fingers of head that lasts well, has that hazy IPA look going on, and you don't have to hang your nose in the glass to get the aroma. Flavour was really nice - TBH I expected it to be more bitter than it was with that much CTZ at 90 minutes, but it is a solid IPA flavour and a nice aftertaste. No off flavours whatsoever, can't taste the alcohol, and I don't feel that it needs any more time carbonating or conditioning. If it gets any better than this with another week in the bottle I'll be impressed.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this came out. I'm going to have a go at the other recipe from the OP next - If I can get similar results with less hops, then that's even better.

I dunno, my 1st place winning pliney clone had a total of 17ounces with the dry hop. 7 gallons post boil.
Also I made a huge starter.
1 vial of yeast is gonna be tough.

I dunno, my 1st place winning pliney clone had a total of 17ounces with the dry hop. 7 gallons post boil.
Also I made a huge starter.
1 vial of yeast is gonna be tough.

:rockin: that's crazy though. I made a pliney clone that had 4oz of dry hops in a 5 gallon. It smelled just like pliney but didn't have as much flavor. Not sure if it was due to technique, boil hops, or dry hops. I should try again

Heres my recipe. This brew took 1st place.
16.75lb 2row
.55lb crystal 40
.55 wheat malt
1 lb dextrose
6gal mash at 150 60min
Huge slurry of 001
Preboil vol of 9.25gal
Post boil vol 7 gal
OG 1.080
FG 1.010
19g warrior fwh
58g chinook 90min
58g columbus 90 min
29g simcoe 45 min
29g columbus 30 min
66g centennial 0
30g simcoe 0
92g columbus dry 5 days
50g centennial dry 5days
50g simcoe dry 5 days
Ferment 64 to 66 4 days
Bump to 66 to 68 6 days
Bump to 70 for last 4 days
Bottled conditioned 5 gallons with 112g dextrose
Ready in 2 more weeks and promptly took first place in dipa pliney clone.

Heres my recipe. This brew took 1st place.
16.75lb 2row
.55lb crystal 40
.55 wheat malt
1 lb dextrose
6gal mash at 150 60min
Huge slurry of 001
Preboil vol of 9.25gal
Post boil vol 7 gal
OG 1.080
FG 1.010
19g warrior fwh
58g chinook 90min
58g columbus 90 min
29g simcoe 45 min
29g columbus 30 min
66g centennial 0
30g simcoe 0
92g columbus dry 5 days
50g centennial dry 5days
50g simcoe dry 5 days

Ferment 64 to 66 4 days
Bump to 66 to 68 6 days
Bump to 70 for last 4 days
Bottled conditioned 5 gallons with 112g dextrose
Ready in 2 more weeks and promptly took first place in dipa pliney clone.
Cool recipe, 192g is about 7 ounces though, not 17. I thought 17 sounded a little extreme

What was the target water profile on that pliny?

I didn't do any adjustment on my first Pliny attempt, came out pretty good, but I'm thinking it could be great with the right amount of sulfate and everything else dialed in correctly.

Can anyone link the thread
That this "new Pliny" recipe came from originally?
I remember seeing it and the brew sheet from Firestone walker that it came from but I can't seem to relocate that thread now.

Back