I Screwed Up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheLevelBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,
I didn't want to post this because it is extremely embarrassing. But alas..

I started researching homebrewing about a week ago, and today I got antsy and bought all the stuff and rushed into the cook..
Rather than try to explain why/how I screwed up I'll just state the facts.

I only used 2lb DME..
I only used 1/2 a gallon during the boiling process instead of a whole gallon because I brainfarted and thought 8 cups was a gallon.
Also my roommate keeps the salt and pepper on top of the stove and at about 32 minutes into the 60 minute boil, the pepper shake fell in the boil... Yeah... I know.... I got it out quickly and I don't think much, if any, pepper got into the brew.

So after 60 minutes and 3 oz of hop pellets later, I put it in the fermentation bucket and filled it up to 5 gallons with water.

So my question now is...
Will it even ferment with such little DME, and will the lack of water in the boiling process be a major issue?

Basically, should I just start over?

It will ferment, but I think you will be very disappointed with it. I suggest dumping and starting over.

I think it will probably be a bit disappointing, I'd probably just start again rather than wait for what will doubtfully be a decent beer unless I had a second fermentor to get another one going. Maybe a kit of some sort to get a nice beer going.

I would probably dump it considering the amount of work that is still to come after the boil. Wouldn't want you getting disillusioned by the quality at the end.

That being said, my first brew was overprimed and bottle rocketted like crazy. Also had the distinct smell of farts. But didn't I drink every one of those suckers hahahaha.

looks like you could get a 1.017 OG...so, 1.65% abv

You neutered your beer!

Continue with fermentation as you would normally and use this as a learning experience. At least it wasn't ten gallons and $60-75 worth of an error.

yep. 1.65%, call it your summer brew.

it's not worth the time dirtying bottles with that beer. honestly, it's not. However, it's a shame to throw out your first brew...

Soo just bottle a 6 pack and toss the rest... or fill up 2 liter bottles (make sure to sanitize the lids) which is not ideal, but will work for the most part.

it's all learning. buy some kits for starting out. everything is there and it makes it easier the first few times. one of the online stores has basic extract kits for 19.99 (which includes the yeast) ..

I would start over, but like someone previously mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to bottle up a 6 pack and give it a try in a few weeks if you really want. If you don't, you may wonder for the rest of your life how it would have turned out.... but if it is bad, don't let that discourage you. Go buy yourself a brewers best or northern brewer kit. They make great first brews. Youtube videos also!

Title says it all. 1.65% is a session brew if I ever heard of one. :D Wouldn't waste any more time or effort on it, chalk it up to training and like someone posted earlier, do some research before attempting your next brew. If you do, there's a good chance of success and you'll end up loving the hobby.

I don't have much to add (I would just start over especially if you only have the one primary bucket) but I wanted to say that this was an awesome read and found it hilarious.

Trust me, I screw up constantly - just learn to laugh about it once in a while!

3 ounces of hops, even if low AA%, may be bitter since you have such a low volume of offsetting fermentables or sugars. I predict you could use this to remove wallpaper paste off the walls. But look on the bright side.....if you make mistakes you are learning. Those who don't brew much don't make as many mistakes as those who brew often. Stay with it!!

Grab some of the fermenting wort Ale boil with some more extract/sugar.
Cool and throw back in the fernenter..
I would let it ride...

Back