Submerging dry hop bag with 304 stainless steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
I just purchased 304 stainless steel washers from a fastenal store, would these be safe to weigh down my dry hop bag? I read that 304 stainless steel can corrode when chloride is present and if my beer has a high chloride to sulfate ratio/level should I worry about my 304 stainless steel washers potentially corroding? Is the level of chloride presented in beer a concern for 304 stainless steel to corrode? I will only be dry hopping with the washers for 3-4 days and if these washers are safe to dry hop with how should I clean and sanitize them? Would doing a bar keepers friend scrub, then boiling them and then dipping them in star san solution be good?

You'll be fine - the level of chloride needed to corrode SS304 would need to be caustic enough to actually damage your body.

Another cheap way is to boil some butter knifes, dump in starsan, then place inside the hop bag.

Happy brewing!

[...]Another cheap way is to boil some butter knifes, dump in starsan, then place inside the hop bag.[...]

My favorite is the wife's gravy ladle. Nice compact hunk of stainless that sinks a couple of ounces of cones like the Titanic...

Cheers! (Don't do this around Thanksgiving. BT/DT, caught hell ;))

Back