DIY Brewjacket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxonbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for some way of getting control over my fermentation temperatures. Due to limited space I don't have room for a fridge/freezer. So I'm considering a DIY brewjacket solution for 2-3 Gallon batches.
I've managed to get a TEC/Peltier running using a computer PSU and heatsink and fan. This works well and I can achieve a temperature difference of ~50F.
I intend to attach a rod/tube to the peltier and immerse this into my fermenting wort, my question is what metal can I use safely????

I've bought stainless steal, but its thermal conductivity is very low, so can I use aluminium? I guess copper is out??

Cheers!!

Thanks, that's really useful to know. Can I use a standard aluminium rod or does it need treating in some way?

Can you share details about your peltier setup? 50 degrees is impressive - is that at the surface of the device or in a carboy full of beer?

I was looking to do the same thing before acquiring a wine fridge but also wondered about the rod. I believe the rod does need to be anodized although I can't remember if the aluminum is bad for the beer or the beer is bad for the aluminum but the brewjacket guys anodize that for a reason and if aluminum was ok for fermenting beer I think we'd all have cheaper than stainless aluminum conicals. I started to explore these as a fermenter as the flat sides would allow attaching the peltier and getting full contact but they come straight from China and they never answered my emailed questions about volume

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1472629754.765194.jpg

The aluminum rod they use has been anodized. Not exactly sure as to the reason.
If the surface isn't treated I believe the aluminum would leech into the beer creating off flavors.. beer cans are lined for this reason as well I believe.

As far as an actual diy jacket 11/2" blue "discharge hose" that can be found on eBay or even the home depot or Lowe's works very very well as long as you have an actual cooling liquid to pump through it... I get frost on the inside of my conical walls when running it while empty.

It's cheap too! I bought 30ft for $10 shipped and used rubber stoppers shoved in the ends with a 3/8 piece of tubing in that to make a reducer for my cooling pvc hose used for the water. A hose clamp holds it all together.
I have a few peltier devices and they aren't strong enough for as much power as the consume IMO.

Back