First time BIAB questions ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing my first BIAB this weekend. Tentatively scheduling a double brew... a 5.5 gallon batch of cream ale and a 1.5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale for my wife. With BIAB, would there be any harm to mashing in on Saturday, then setting the pots aside and picking up with the boil on Sunday?

I've left a batch cooling post-boil on the basement floor overnight to get it down a few more degrees, but that's after all the nasties have been killed off. I think there might be a chance of getting off-flavors from leaving a hot-but-not-boiled wort sitting overnight. I could be wrong!

There are some threads around here regarding overnight mashing. This is a process where you add the grain to your water at an appropriate temp, and let it sit overnight.

Ive never done an overnight mash, but I have mashed, pulled the spent grain, covered my pot and boiled the next day. I have been careful to practice good sanitation in these situations. This process seemed to produce good beer.

I prefer to run the whole brewing process in an afternoon though.

trout

I have done an overnight mash a couple times, no off flavors or any other issue's.. Have also mashed, pulled the spent grain, covered my pot and boiled the next day.

I'm thinking about doing my first BIAB this weekend. Tentatively scheduling a double brew... a 5.5 gallon batch of cream ale and a 1.5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale for my wife. With BIAB, would there be any harm to mashing in on Saturday, then setting the pots aside and picking up with the boil on Sunday?
Due to other circumstances, I've had to delay my boil as well. My understanding is most of the conversion takes place in 30-40 minutes (maybe even quicker) of the saccharification rest, so leaving the grain in the mash for an extended period does nothing but add to the thermal mass. I'd recommend after mashing, go ahead and pull your grain bag and squeeze every last drop out of it. Then let your sweet wort rest, covered, overnight until you are ready to boil. As 2trout said, be sure to follow good sanitation practices to prevent any nasties from growing in the interim. Anything that does slip by should get zapped during the boil.

BIAB is no different than another other type of brewing. The different is the filter. BIAB uses a bag while others uses a mesh filter or manifold.

I would either just let the mash rest overnight, or pull the bag and heat the wort to 170-180 to pasteurize it....

Most likely lacto will not take hold overnight, say 10 hours....

How long do you plan on letting the fresh wort sit?

Shorter the likely better IMO.

This could be ideal for something like a cream ale where high attenuation and low FG are desired....

Go for it!

Why worry so much about sanitation of the overnight mash if you're just going to boil it the next day?

I kind doubt anything will start growing enough to cause off-flavors in the 12-24 hours that it's mashing. And if you wrap it well enough the temp probably won't get much below 120F overnight.

I was forced on a couple of occasions to boil the wort the following day. Aside from the wort starting to smell funny those particular beers turned out great.

Didn't notice any off flavors.

If you keep the mash temp at 154F not higher, when it cools down(and it will have 3 under my belt) the Beta enzymes will start back up again and the wort will be very fermentable. The 3 beers were a Kolsch that finished at 1.009, a Saison that finished at 1.002 I know some do but the yeast I used in the regular mash would go to ~ 1.006.The other was a DIPA that finished at 1.010 without any sugar just grain. They were all excellent. Just insulate the s@#$ out of it. I start the brew day at 9:30pm, I mean fill the kettle turn it on measure and grind the grains, the works,and am in bed ~11:00pm. Really cuts the brew day down.

Back