Dspr120 flashing all 8s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMerkle

Reaction score
Got this controller all set up and running with more than a little help from Doug and some other awesome people here on the forums.

Unfortunately, I'm having a problem with it: the display flashes all 8s, then shows the correct prove reading and set temp, then goes blank, flashes all 8s and repeats.

Any ideas?

Pins on the controller are all good and tight. Soldering all looks very clean on the XLR connectors for the box and for the probe cable... though this is my first experience with doing any soldering. Could it be the type of solder inused?

Maybe you have one of the wires connected wrong. The ends of the XLR connector are numbered. It won't matter if the reds are crossed up but not one of the reds with the white. It doesn't matter the type of solder for those connections.

Read the directions and make double sure that the Reds and the white are in the right place. Also, if you can eliminate your soldering job to check that would be helpful too.

I've got a white wire on dspr120 pin 5 and reds on 3 and 4. White goes to middle lin on each xlr and middle pin is labeled 3 on each xlr.

So then bypass your soldering job. Is you probe known to be good? Have you checked with a multimeter that you have continuity from your xlr pins to the terminals on the controller?

^ ditto also make sure you dont have a short between the wires themselves with a meter. You could have a bad probe... they are generic chinese probes (even the ones sold by auber) I've gotten a couple bad ones myself, especially the really cheap stainless braided cable ones, the wires inside are made of like 3 strands of twisted copper wire and break very easily.

I didn't even think to check the sensor ITSELF. took that guy apart and the little electric sensor tucked into the metal thermowell has three wires attached to a 4 pin quick disconnect. The odd colored wire of the three was connected to the 1 pin... so I resoldered it to the 3 and I'm going to test that shortly.

View attachment 1472154009905.jpg

View attachment 1472154033390.jpg

That didn't do it. The controller doesn't even recognize the sensor after swapping the odd colored wire to pin 3 inside the probe.

Also, I tried bypassing all of my soldering and hooked the cable right into the controller. Same thing: controller flashes 'orAL' error when no sensor attached and flashes all 8s and reboots repeatedly when it is attached.

That didn't do it. The controller doesn't even recognize the sensor after swapping the odd colored wire to pin 3 inside the probe.

Also, I tried bypassing all of my soldering and hooked the cable right into the controller. Same thing: controller flashes 'orAL' error when no sensor attached and flashes all 8s and reboots repeatedly when it is attached.

Hi TheMerkle..
Is this the same controller we discussed in a different post?
If so..
I believe the controller was damaged. As you mentioned, you could not
get into setup, as it keeps restarting.

Assuming it is under warranty, Contact Auber Instruments, let them know the symptom.. My guess is they will replace it.

--john.

I've sent them a few emails visit the address they list on their website for technical support, but no reaponse. Any idea of a better way to get in touch with them?

It only does the reboot loop whilst a sensor is attached. I can get into the setup while it is detached.

I've sent them a few emails visit the address they list on their website for technical support, but no reaponse. Any idea of a better way to get in touch with them?

Hi.
I have never tried emailing their support, instead have called.
Phone:
(770) 569-8420
(404) 926-6098
(404) 983-8228
Office hours: 9AM - 5PM (ET), Monday through Friday.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us

If it is recycling/rebooting and knowing what happened, my guess is
there is a problem with the device.

return mine and said he'd send out the replacement right away. Mine went out last Tuesday and he still hasn't responded or mailed the replacement. I'll let you know what happens.

Auber replaced the unit free of charge and everything is working as intended now. Now, just to get it retuned. From stock, the tune is very cautious and approaches target number very slowly. I'd like to speed it up a bit even at the cost of a small overshoot if need be

Hi. So glad it is working. Auber has always been great to work with.
As for tuning, I actually use the 2352's. Maybe someone else could chime
in to assist.

Take care.
--jp

Auber replaced the unit free of charge and everything is working as intended now. Now, just to get it retuned. From stock, the tune is very cautious and approaches target number very slowly. I'd like to speed it up a bit even at the cost of a small overshoot if need be

You can tune the oscr (overshoot correction) value down below zero, which is what I have to do with my RIMS tube. For me (1200w 110v) I've used both -2 and -3.

Back