Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Charlie Talley (Five-Star Chemicals) Notes from Brewcasts

Old 03-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

LOL, that is really funny and good to know at the same time, lol. You pay all that money for something so expensive and a simple beer-maker's sanitizer etches your brand new Pella or Anderson windows.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 03-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Great thread...glad you made a sticky of it!!!!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

I need to find out if we're related. Maybe I'd get free Stan San for life. I only have about 2 or 3 ounces left.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2840 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
I need to find out if we're related. Maybe I'd get free Stan San for life. I only have about 2 or 3 ounces left.
LOL...when I first saw your name on the User Cp, I was expecting your to announce that you WERE chuck Talley...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

LOL, I'd opt for just 1% of his company and then try to sell everyone you meet on it for everything the produce, lol. He'd be like, "Cousins?????"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 03-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Dark_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I kept a keg of star san for cleaning, but dont leave your carboy brush in the mixture by accident for say......A week, It will eat up the flexible metal that the brushes are made of.....oooops, not that I have ever done it......

Old 03-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster
Squatter's Brewery in SLC has a Jenny Talley who has loads of gold medals from GABF on her German style beers. Her Kolsch & Swartzbier are the two I could see from my seat at the bar.

Any relation?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5550 Times on 4902 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1
WortMonger,

StarSan CAN be used and re-used for quite some time. I really wouldn't keep it in a diluted state for months. A few weeks would be pushing it, IMHO.
I agree with this statement "if" you aren't using pH papers to test your solutions. I mix my Star San with distilled or Reverse Osmosis water in 5 Gallon batches. Everytime I open the solution bottle (plastic carboy) I first shake it up and then pour some off to test.

For coming on 9 months now, I have had a 5 gallon mix of Star San that has yet to change pH from 3. It will store in solution much longer than you'd expect and you can use much less than you'd think prudent. A spray bottle to coat surfaces is really all you need.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Agreed -- time should not be used to judge whether your Star San has lost its effectiveness or not. The clarity and pH of the solution are the only truly reliable indicators. If made from mineral-free water and stored in a non-reactive vessel, Star San will potentially keep for months (I have kept it in a glass carboy for 5 months, no problem).

Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #20
RoseburgBrewer
Recipes 

So...If its not good to soak for more than 3 hours with star san, where do you store your batch of star san when your done with it?