Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > mixing primer in beer

Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
hardrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default mixing primer in beer

whats the best method?

i use a bottling bucket and have poured the dissolved sugar water into the bottom then siphoned the beer in. I had a long hose and coiled the beer so it spun around some....well then i got an auto siphone with a smaller tube and the end of the hose ended up in the middle/top of the bucket before the transfer was complete.

I bottled without mixing but then when i tasted the beer at the end it was very sugary. I opened a brew last night (it's been 1.5 weeks, i know too early but i was curious) and its very flat.

Is the coil method, which creates a small woorlpool, ok? or does that add to the oxygen level? Is there another method?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
hardrain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

also, if my beer ends up as flat as I think it's going to be, is there anything i can do about it? would adding sugar and re-capping work or would i have to add yeast as well?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
jmiracle

Recipes 

Honestly I've never heard of a problem with that method, i've done a couple siphons with a short tube where I held the bucket up and then lowered it when the liquid level was higher, so that after the halfway point the tube was in the middle of the bucket. I doubt any of your beer will be flat, the beer might have just tasted sweeter than you thought because it was flat at the time or needed some aging. Then again I'd think you'd have some bubbles at 10 days, are you storing these at room temp? Are you sure your yeast is viable? I see you have an Alt in your sig , doesn't that mean a long cold conditioning? Maybe you need some fresh yeast.

I've forgotten the priming sugar, remembered halfway, dumped it in and didn't stir and I still didn't get any flat beers, unless I just got lucky...
Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think you're being premature in judging carbonation. you don't list where you live, but its still cool this time of year unless you keep your house hot as a sauna.

give it another 2 weeks and keep the bottles 70-80F and they'll fully carb up.

any gentle swirling action from the siphon should mix the sugar water into the beer as you rack.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10