Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Priming Hefe with lager yeast-ever heard of this?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
CharlieB59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Having not thoroughly read your post, I'm using hefe yeast, so I should forego the crash cool(?) and does one usually just add the yeast to the cooked priming sugar at the bottom of the bottling bucket, and let the beer siphoning in mix it all up?? Thanks for the help guys.

Planning: Crisp Red Ale, Choco Toasted Coco Stout & Apple-Mint Mead

Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #22
dmorrison
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Does the lager yeast ferment any sugars left behind by the hefe yeast? Does the lager yeast add or remove a significant amount of any byproduct?

Old 09-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #23
Hefehead
Recipes 

I have to an extent. "Sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and kraeusened to finish the beer and improve the overall dryness." either event, the critical questions are how much kräusen beer do I need, and what condition should it be in?
Typically, 20% of the original volume is needed. However, to hit the desired level of carbonation, adjustments are necessary, depending on the gravity of your wort. A quick calculation shows that 20% of a typical wort would give way too much carbonation. however, if you do not have the pacience or time, try just crash cooling the beer after the secondary fermentation is over and then add lager yeast right before bottling. this in itself should improve overall dryness because the lager yeast tends to always produce a lot of attenuation and should dry it out nicely. also when poured back into the beer (from the bottom of the bottle) it has an improved bittering flavour without any autolosis. hope this anwers your question.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #24
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB59
Alrighty, thanks for the info... I was just worried about the new yeast being to lively.
New yeast can't eat more sugar than you put in for bottling. Whether you let the yeast already in the beer take care of it or put in new yeast to chew through the priming sugar more quickly makes virtually no difference. The only way you'll get bottle bombs is by putting in too much priming sugar.