Ha! Belgian IPA it is.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
I had a brew day today, and I was planning on brewing a dry hopped saison. It dawned on me, after I started adding hops to the boil, that I had actually doubled the hop additions compared to what I'd put in the recipe calculator. After a larger than planned first addition I just decided to go with it. Other than that, everything went really good. I'm okay with more hops, it'll just be different from I had in mind. Just thought I'd share my "DOH!" story of the day, since it was brew related this time.

At least I'm not the only one, I recently doubled the hops in Beirmunchers co3c by mistake

I wrapped up a White IPA a few weeks back only to find 2.5 oz of hops on the table that were supposed to go in at flameout. Since I already had the wort in the fermenter I dry hopped with them 7 days before bottling.

So, I'm confused. The last few weeks I've been trying this beer to see if would shape up. At first the hoppiness was extreme, and I didn't like it. The aroma was nice. Now, four weeks or so later, it's fine. Not as much flavor and aroma as I had hoped for, but the aggressiveness from the earlier bottles has mellowed out dramatically. I've never had hops mellow out so fast. They're still there, but have definitely, balanced out somehow. I guess that's a good thing, even though I still didn't get what I had hoped for.

Back