Beersmith just released the new version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider these touch-ups. I really wish for the whole interface getting a redesign, once and for all.

I recently imported new grain and hop "databases" but found them to be even more inconsistent than previous add-ons. Shouldn't they be scrubbed first, before distributing, along the "edit once, use many" paradigm? What's that with the ALL-CAPS? Then there's the weird, inconsistent grouping, some by name, some by type, some otherwise.

Oh well, still the best beer design app out there. :mug:

I saw that last night too. I didn't download it yet as I have a question. Can I just download it and then install it over my current version without it dumping all of my current recipes, or do I have to save all my recipes to a different folder and then put them back once this new version is installed? It may be a stupid question but I'd rather be safe and have all my recipes than sorry!

John

I saw that last night too. I didn't download it yet as I have a question. Can I just download it and then install it over my current version without it dumping all of my current recipes, or do I have to save all my recipes to a different folder and then put them back once this new version is installed? It may be a stupid question but I'd rather be safe and have all my recipes than sorry!

John

I'm not sure but just in case I would back them up anyway, even if it's on paper. Last thing you want is to lose your recipes.

I'm still undecided if I'm going to download it. I'm comfortable with the old version.

I just downloaded it. I didn't lose anything. I haven't really taken a look. It seems most of what is in there I will not use. Others just make additions or changes easier to do.

I don't think you will have to re-learn anything.

I also think this is just an update to the present program. I think Brad is still working on a total new GUI updated program

I'm not sure but just in case I would back them up anyway, even if it's on paper. Last thing you want is to lose your recipes.

Good advice! I probably won't download it for awhile until I hear more from others if they like it better or not. I like the version I have now.

John

Took a little look at the updates. Most you don't have to use if you don't want to. Others make changes easier. For instance if you open a hop and what you have has a different AA level you can change it right there. You don't have to go to the Add Hops tab to change it there then come back to the recipe.

I suggest to download it. Though YMMV.

You never loose anything when downloading an update from Beersmith. I just downloaded the latest one yesterday & still have everything. no worries. The design window is bigger, so you can see more of the recipe without scrolling up/down or left/right. Gotta look at the rest. I bought the next level up too, so I can now save 125 recipes to the cloud. Level-ups were on sale recently too, like last week? Might still be? The increase in cloud storage alone was worth the money. Think about all the times the computer messed up & you lost a bunch of files &/or programs?...

Fortunately over the time I have used Beersmith, I have always printed out a copy for use during the brewday. So I have all my recipes. I lost what was stored on 2 different computers that crashed.

I haven't updated my cloud. Partially because I have never done exactly the same recipe twice, yet. (5 years - 88 batches) So I am creating a new one anyway.

These are really just tweaks... If you have auto update on your smart phone your apps are doing this sort of thing every day without you seeing it happen.

There is nothing to fear here!

Though a backup would be good insurance.

Well.....I for one am very happy with the fixes/patches as they read anyway..looking forward to the download and test driving it. Thanks for listening to us Brad! :)

I just noticed two more things in BS 2.3. It not only has the bigger recipe window, but all the list to the right-Add grains, add hops, etc, open the window with a new button lower right that lets you add the item without closing the window for multiple additions! Plus when you save it, whether you're adding to notes, whatever, it saves as another whole copy on your recipe list. Not sure if it goes to cloud too automatically or not yet?
***PS- Doesn't automatically save the " new version/save" to cloud folder. But it also doesn't save them in any kind of order, either. Only by recipe name.

any effect on my Mobile Beersmith 2? I didn't see anything about it being updated...

I don't have the mobile but I would open it and see if there is a search for updates tab. If so click on it and see what happens. I would suspect that Brad will have to do that separately from the PC program so if he does, it may be later.

I tried to download it - they told me the server could not be reached.

That happened to me from inside the program. But going to the above link worked fine, and it was super quick. It looks basically the same, so I'm comfortable with it so far.

I did back up the recipe files, just in case, but it wasn't necessary in my case.

Took a little look at the updates. Most you don't have to use if you don't want to. Others make changes easier. For instance if you open a hop and what you have has a different AA level you can change it right there. You don't have to go to the Add Hops tab to change it there then come back to the recipe.

Maybe I'm confused but couldn't you already do that by double clicking on the ingredient? You can change the name and pretty much all its values after adding it into the recipe. Same thing for malts.
Regardless some of the other features seem like a nice step up. Switching the weight setting from lb to oz and back all the time is a PITA so I love the idea of being able to directly input mixed units without the hassle.

I upgraded the other day and took a look at the mash PH functionality yesterday. It does not seem very accurate which is kind of disappointing. It looks like it only takes into consideration your water (which is good) and then the total weight of the grains. It is on the mash page, and a stand alone tool under Tools >> Mash pH.

If you go to one of your recipes and compare the estimated mash pH with the stand lone tool by just entering the total weight of the grist, the estimated mash pH is the same. So unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem to take into account the color of your beer or the grains.

Maybe I'm confused but couldn't you already do that by double clicking on the ingredient? You can change the name and pretty much all its values after adding it into the recipe. Same thing for malts...

Yup, that is the way I always changed them...the good old double mouse click >> edit >> close.

I upgraded the other day and took a look at the mash PH functionality yesterday. It does not seem very accurate which is kind of disappointing. It looks like it only takes into consideration your water (which is good) and then the total weight of the grains. It is on the mash page, and a stand alone tool under Tools >> Mash pH.

If you go to one of your recipes and compare the estimated mash pH with the stand lone tool by just entering the total weight of the grist, the estimated mash pH is the same. So unless I am missing something, it doesn't seem to take into account the color of your beer or the grains.

I don't think so - in recipe, I changed 10 lbs of base malt (Otter Maris) into 10 lbs of Black Barley and my Mash pH dropped fro 5.66 to 4.60, for the same grain weight. So it definitely does seem to take into account the specific grain bill.

Maybe I'm confused but couldn't you already do that by double clicking on the ingredient? You can change the name and pretty much all its values after adding it into the recipe. Same thing for malts.
Regardless some of the other features seem like a nice step up. Switching the weight setting from lb to oz and back all the time is a PITA so I love the idea of being able to directly input mixed units without the hassle.

I thought you could do that before as well. You could even type 5kg and it would auto-enter in lbs and oz.

And maybe this existed before, but shortcuts <ctrl-H> for adding Hops, <ctrl-G> for Grain, <ctrl-Y> for yeast etc. is very nice way to speed up new recipe entry!

That happened to me from inside the program. But going to the above link worked fine, and it was super quick. It looks basically the same, so I'm comfortable with it so far.

I did back up the recipe files, just in case, but it wasn't necessary in my case.

Awesome. Thank you

I don't have the mobile but I would open it and see if there is a search for updates tab. If so click on it and see what happens. I would suspect that Brad will have to do that separately from the PC program so if he does, it may be later.

I don't think this upgrade is for mobile version. I wish we had folders and other stuff for mobile the way PC/Mac version works.

I don't think so - in recipe, I changed 10 lbs of base malt (Otter Maris) into 10 lbs of Black Barley and my Mash pH dropped fro 5.66 to 4.60, for the same grain weight. So it definitely does seem to take into account the specific grain bill.

I'll have to try that. I think I was testing with my hefe recipe so they were all light grains. Still seems odd that the stand alone tool only has an input for grist weight and nothing about color.

I did take a look at it with my Kate the Great recipe and brewer's friend said to get to 5.5 pH that I should add 3.42ml of phosphoric acid and BeerSmith says to add 2.3ml, and Bru'n Water says to add 0.4ml. Who knows. :)

Unless I have missed something for years.... I think that if you double clicked the ingredient and made changes in 2.2 that would change the specs for that ingredient in that recipe only. If you made a new recipe using that ingredient it would be without the correction.

Now you can change the specs to match your ingredients. So when you get your Amarillo 2017 and the AA are 1 percent higher than your 2016 ones you can make the change without opening a the ingredients menu, making the changes there then going back to the recipe.

And maybe this existed before, but shortcuts <ctrl-H> for adding Hops, <ctrl-G> for Grain, <ctrl-Y> for yeast etc. is very nice way to speed up new recipe entry!

Whoa! that is so 90's.

Are keyboard shortcuts easier than clicking on the hops icon to add hops or the grain icon to add grain?????

I never did learn to use keyboard shortcuts. First you had to remember them, and then I am a lousy typist. So mouse clicking is so much easier. And for me faster.

Unless I have missed something for years.... I think that if you double clicked the ingredient and made changes in 2.2 that would change the specs for that ingredient in that recipe only. If you made a new recipe using that ingredient it would be without the correction.

Now you can change the specs to match your ingredients. So when you get your Amarillo 2017 and the AA are 1 percent higher than your 2016 ones you can make the change without opening a the ingredients menu, making the changes there then going back to the recipe.

I see what you mean now. Does this mean you have to keep the program updated with your stock though so it doesn't go back to the default?

I see what you mean now. Does this mean you have to keep the program updated with your stock though so it doesn't go back to the default?

I would say yes, but you should have been doing this anyway. Whenever I get specs on ingredients that are different from the downloaded specs I change them in my ingredients list. If I get a new batch and it is different I either have to add it with a unique name or update what is already there.

When I don't know, for instance the AA of my hop, I use the default.

If I do know and edit it, that is now the default.

In the updates, these types of changes should be easier to do.

I still have to look at all the new updates. I imagine some I will not use, others will just be different and others will be better. I don't see anything, yet, that I think I would have liked unchanged.

Whoa! that is so 90's.

Are keyboard shortcuts easier than clicking on the hops icon to add hops or the grain icon to add grain?????

I never did learn to use keyboard shortcuts. First you had to remember them, and then I am a lousy typist. So mouse clicking is so much easier. And for me faster.

Whoa! that is so 90's.

Ha! Must be my 90ies mentality (I was a teenager back then) - keyboard is so much faster than the mouse/menu.
It works regardless of where your cursor is. And remembering? H for Hops. Y for Yeast. G for Grain.
Linux over windows. Or better yet - both!

Ha! Must be my 90ies mentality (I was a teenager back then) - keyboard is so much faster than the mouse/menu.
It works regardless of where your cursor is. And remembering? H for Hops. Y for Yeast. G for Grain.
Linux over windows. Or better yet - both!

Maybe... But for me it would be fn H. backspace, backspace, ctrl j, backspace, :smack: h. continue.

Move the cursor to the icon is far quicker for me.

Updated for me straight from the App. It did all the work.. All my recipes are still there.

Just downloaded and used it for today's brew day with no loss of data. I like the upgrade.

Back