Lazy magnolia's southern pecan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking some LM right now and wondering about these recipies.
Any of them turn out?

Well I have read most of the threads out here about this beer.

I called down to Lazy magnolia to pick their brain on the recipe.

They told me they use a lot of Crystal 80L, which surprised me. You need a lot of 80l to get to a 15 SRM.

Kind of makes me nervous going 20% on 80l. wondering about raisin flavors

thinking of going half 60 half 80 l and add 2 oz choc and 1 oz debittered to get my color?

any thoughts

Alabrew is my LHBS, went in there the other day to make his clone. Just a note, his uses pale chocolate in addition to what has already been posted. I forget how much since I tweaked his recipe a little (can't help it, I have this thing about brewing exact recipes) but I think it was only a few ounces. He also recommends adding the pecans at the end of the boil rather than the mash.

Drinking some LM right now and wondering about these recipies.
Any of them turn out?

Hmmm I moved mine to the secondary last night and took a gravity reading.... went from 1.074 to 1.022 so it's basically on the "heavy" side but I'm worried because the sample tasted sour. I gave the carboy a swirl a few minutes ago to smell what was coming off the air lock and I think something is very wrong here.

Any thoughts? this is a new one to me.
:confused:

Hmmm I moved mine to the secondary last night and took a gravity reading.... went from 1.074 to 1.022 so it's basically on the "heavy" side but I'm worried because the sample tasted sour. I gave the carboy a swirl a few minutes ago to smell what was coming off the air lock and I think something is very wrong here.

Any thoughts? this is a new one to me.
:confused:

Safbrew S-33 smells like rotten eggs when it ferments. Not sure if that's what you're smelling. Not really a big fan of that yeast to tell you the truth. Mine finished at 1.025 from 1.064, came out pretty good. I let it sit in a secondary for a couple weeks to try to get the final down more but it wouldn't budge. I mashed with the pecans and the only time they really come through is in the nose of the first sip of each bottle. Outside of that, it's pretty close to the real thing, maybe a little less dry and without the extra couple points of gravity kick.

Safbrew S-33 smells like rotten eggs when it ferments. Not sure if that's what you're smelling. Not really a big fan of that yeast to tell you the truth.

Just bottled it today, but I probably should have just dumped it down the drain... it looks like a good beer smells ok, but has an overwhelming sour taste. I can't think of how it may have been infected, unless it's something from the toasted pecans.

I've never had a beer go this bad before. I don't think this will ever become drinkable unless I start some crazy mixology...

Thoughts?

Anyone have their clones ready? and if so how close did it come to LM's? Curious about the pecan flavor & if it held through? I'm going to brew this next week based on some of the recipe suggestions in this thread & others.. I think I may use a London Ale Yeast (WLP013) as a substitute. Not sure if it will change the taste/profile of the beer w/ this yeast. Never used Safbrew S-33 before so I'm a little hesitant to try it. I think I may end up using closer to a lb of pecans in the mash. We plan on crushing them up, toasting them a few times & letting them air out in a paper bag a few days prior to brew day. I may use a smaller amount of toasted pecans in the last 10 min's of the boil as well.

Was curious if anyone has tried to make this clone into a pecan pie type of beer? Was thinking of adding 2.5 ounces of Oak Chips soaked in 16 ounces of bourbon to the secondary to try & get a pecan pie flavor but I'm not sure if we're going to do that or not. The wife really wants to so we shall see. Thanks for all the info on this post, I'm really looking forward to brewing this.

Anyone have their clones ready? and if so how close did it come to LM's? Curious about the pecan flavor & if it held through? I'm going to brew this next week based on some of the recipe suggestions in this thread & others.. I think I may use a London Ale Yeast (WLP013) as a substitute. Not sure if it will change the taste/profile of the beer w/ this yeast. Never used Safbrew S-33 before so I'm a little hesitant to try it. I think I may end up using closer to a lb of pecans in the mash. We plan on crushing them up, toasting them a few times & letting them air out in a paper bag a few days prior to brew day. I may use a smaller amount of toasted pecans in the last 10 min's of the boil as well.

Was curious if anyone has tried to make this clone into a pecan pie type of beer? Was thinking of adding 2.5 ounces of Oak Chips soaked in 16 ounces of bourbon to the secondary to try & get a pecan pie flavor but I'm not sure if we're going to do that or not. The wife really wants to so we shall see. Thanks for all the info on this post, I'm really looking forward to brewing this.

Stumbled on this down in Destin and a very lightly oaked with a hint of Bourbon would rock. It would be tricky not to overpower the pecans though.

@Starman Lazy Magnolia actually makes a version that they age in oak Jack Daniels barrels. It is called Southern Gentleman and it is sublime. The flavors blend perfectly and the bourbon really enhances the pecan notes. The downside is they are rather limited on the availability of Jack Barrels so they can't make as much as they would like. One bar near the brewery bought the entire first batch. If you are ever on the Mississippi Gulf coast swing by the Ugly Pirate in Bay St. Louis.

@Starman Lazy Magnolia actually makes a version that they age in oak Jack Daniels barrels. It is called Southern Gentleman and it is sublime. The flavors blend perfectly and the bourbon really enhances the pecan notes. The downside is they are rather limited on the availability of Jack Barrels so they can't make as much as they would like. One bar near the brewery bought the entire first batch. If you are ever on the Mississippi Gulf coast swing by the Ugly Pirate in Bay St. Louis.

That just sounds like it'd be worth the trip by itself.

Alabrew is pretty nice. Prices are not too bad and they are are always helpful.

Southern Pecan is bit expensive where we are even though we're in the same state. $9-10 for a 6pack or $75 for a 5 gallon keg. Great beer, just dang expensive.

I'm right now secondaring the Alabrew AG Clone, so in about a week or so, i'll post it's initial impression. It used California Ale Yeast. I'll post the grain bill + Hops used when I find the recipe later.

EDIT:
From Lazy Mag's website:

Grains used
Maris Otter, caramel malt, wheat, roasted pecans
Hops used
Domestic magnum and tettnang

The website says...Domestic Nugget and Willamette for hops?

Ok I wanted to do a pecan porter...but think I will take a shot at this instead

6 gallons

10lb Maris Otter
1.75lb Crystal 80
.25lb Wheat Malt
.25lb Golden Naked Oats
.50oz Nugget for 35 minutes
.50oz Willamette 10 minutes
.50oz Willamette 0 minutes
12-16oz crushed roasted pecans added to mash.
WLP002/WLP005 or Wyeast 1028/1098 ?????
Mash at 140 for 15 minutes, then raise mash to 153-154 until converted.

72% Eff. = 1.055/13.5, SRM 15 IBU 19(promash)

Has anyone managed to reproduce this? I just had my first Southern Pecan and I have to make it!

This may have been mentioned - but I'll add it anyway...was just listening to the CYBI episode in. holgate nut brown - and the brewer mentions he was inspired by the southern pecan beer from LM. He specifically mentions that based on what he learned from visiting LM, they chop, roast, and add the nuts into the mash as has been mentioned here. This is a great beer and in my to do kist

Back