Pasteurizing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourz4life

Reaction score
So I'm going to be making a mozzarella cheese from some raw goat milk, but its for a pregnant friend. She's been told not to eat anything from raw milk as it doesn't have the risk of Listeria monocytogenes which is true but unlikely of course. So I know the 2 different methods commonly used to pasteurize milk by raising and holding the temps. Now if I make it using raw milk then raise the remaining whey with a little bit of salt to 175 to prepare the cheese for stretching, if I leave the cheese in there at that temp for the 40 seconds suggested for HTSH pasteurizing, will that pasteurize it or does it have to be done while still in the milk state to work.

Honestly don't know. But I do know pregnant women. Good luck trying to get her to eat homemade cheese from unpasteurized or milk I pasteurized using methods I found on the Internet. Just make her stuff using pasteurized milk, and put her mind at ease. She has more than enough to worry about. Just my two bits.

I don't think you would want to leave the cheese in the whey at that temp. It may pasteurize it but it would also kill the bacteria that you want left in the cheese.

What would be the problem with batch pasteurizing the milk?

You also have to raise the temp of the cheese to the right temp. Not the surrounding liquid. And then you have cooked cheese.

Maybe you should make it and age it till she's not pregnant.

Back