Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > tubing from lowes

Old 02-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
mbeattie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default tubing from lowes

Hey, I need some tubing for some stuff I am building. I went to lowes and the tubing they sell says "do not use with icemaker"

I was wondering if this is because it's not food grade or whatever and shouldnt be in contact with the hot water/wort or if it's just because it's not pressure rated to be able to handle house line pressure. Which is it? Can I use it?

Old 02-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I were a betting man I would say that it is not food grade. Most of the time you will need to go to a restaruant supply place to get food grade stuff like tubing.

loop

Old 02-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think pet stores with aquarium supplies may sell food grade tubing.

Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think "food grade" is a falacy. What else but water would Home depot expect you to use through the hose? It's not like buying fuel line at the auto parts store... Ice makers are hooked to a home's plumbing, so need higher pressure hose, vinyl no good there.

I read on some HBS site that their hose was "beer grade, the inside was smooother than 'food grade'". But it is all "blown" like a glass blower does, to get it's final diameter, so "beer grade" has to be ...hyperbolic? Would you think beer needs smoothness, after being tapped through poppet valves, rubber o-rings, all those fittings, valves, taps....but the hose ain't smooth???

I've been brewing through Home Depot vinyl hose, works fine. Just don't use it for beer if you have already used it to syphon gas. Don't ask how I know. The hops didn't cover the taste of the unleaded.

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 02-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
timmy63
Recipes 

Have purchased tubing at Lowe's before. The stuff I bought had "food grade" on the box so I bought it. Worked fine.

Timmy

Old 02-11-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've always bought my tubing from Lowes/Home Depot and I've never had a problem.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
I think "food grade" is a falacy. What else but water would Home depot expect you to use through the hose? It's not like buying fuel line at the auto parts store... Ice makers are hooked to a home's plumbing, so need higher pressure hose, vinyl no good there.

I read on some HBS site that their hose was "beer grade, the inside was smooother than 'food grade'". But it is all "blown" like a glass blower does, to get it's final diameter, so "beer grade" has to be ...hyperbolic? Would you think beer needs smoothness, after being tapped through poppet valves, rubber o-rings, all those fittings, valves, taps....but the hose ain't smooth???

I've been brewing through Home Depot vinyl hose, works fine. Just don't use it for beer if you have already used it to syphon gas. Don't ask how I know. The hops didn't cover the taste of the unleaded.
Food Grade is certainly NOT a fallacy and if you are using tubing not graded as such then you are taking your health into your hands!

I've seen people buy plastic tubing from Home Depot and Lowes and run all sorts of things through it, including compressed air, fuel, and non-potable water, none of which requires food grade tubing.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
deranged_hermit
Recipes 

well this topic has me worried now... i bought all my tubing from lowes, and have no idea whether it was food grade or not. it was in the plumbing section, if that makes a difference. i just drank some of my first batch last night, and i'm still alive this morning, so i'm guessing and hoping that it will be alright...

but for reference, what exactly is the problem with using non-food grade tubing? especially when all you use it for it tranfering from primary to secondary, secondary to bottling bucket, bottling bucket to bottles. what are the physical/chemical differences in the tubing?
6.6.06 Ale (4/12)
Oatmeal Stout (4/20)
On deck:
Stella Artois

Old 02-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Sasquatch

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No worries. Clear tubing is not going to poison you, unless you forget to suck the anti-freeze out of it after doing the car. Really. You're fine. Brew away. Plastic has better things to do than poison homebrewers.

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 02-12-2006, 01:53 AM   #10
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
Food Grade is certainly NOT a fallacy and if you are using tubing not graded as such then you are taking your health into your hands!

I've seen people buy plastic tubing from Home Depot and Lowes and run all sorts of things through it, including compressed air, fuel, and non-potable water, none of which requires food grade tubing.
Fine, Bikebryan. Don't drink any of my beer.

I've seen people buying tubing at HD to run BEER through it.

Now, with all the time you save not drinking my beer, find me a meaningful example of clear vinyl hose that would harm me or my beer. The fact that some people put fuel through hardware store tubing is totally irrelevant. How about a trip to Home Depot, look for cautions on the box? "Do NOT use this hose for IPA, as it MAY make it taste more like Imperial Stout!" Doubt it.

Geez, I must have given away hundreds of bottles of beer. Not once have it heard "Pretty good, but it has the aftertaste of Non-Food Grade PVC tubing, in 3/8"...no..wait...1/2", molded in 2003, fall crop"......

Aand a subjective concept- Have you ever heard of some having a problem caused by the mythical "Food Use of Non Food Grade Tubing" ? This thread alone has 6 posts, all positive. Even yours has no facts behind it.

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"
DoubleFisted Likes This