Small Batch for Beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerdan227

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking forward to starting a small batch brewery (1 gal) to get into home brewing. Thought I would start doing some research before ordering any equipment online or in the store. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what would be needed to start brewing? I see the kits out there, but don't want to waste money if they are subpar in peoples' opinion. I would also appreciate any links specifically for recommended boiling pots and anything else that would be considered more of a major purchase compared to the $79 small batch starting kits. Thanks in advance and happy brewing!

I started home brewing earlier this summer with a one-gallon kit I ordered through Bespoke Post (it's sold out now). I wish I had purchased a Brewer's Best one-gallon kit instead, and in fact I subsequently purchased one since it fills in some of the gaps.

I use a big stock pot for my stove-top work. I also ordered a wide mouth one gallon fermenter from Northern Brewer.

So far, so good--although I haven't had a chance to taste my first batch yet. Another week or so to wait.

Unless you are really cramped for space, a 1 gal "brewery" probably is a test, right? If so, I'd keep the 1gal specific purchases to a minimum. You probably have most of the stuff you need around the house already.

eg any big pot will work for boiling 1 gallon.

Beyond that, you'll need something to ferment in eg a good grade bucket or glass jug. It will need to be over 1 gallon because the beer foams up when fermenting. You'll a drilled stopper and air lock to keep O2 and bugs out. You'll need a way to get the finished beer out without exposing it to air. You can siphon with a simple tube, but an autosiphon and bottling wand will make the process much easier. Then, you obviously need some bottles to put the beer in and a way to close them. That's the bare bones setup you would absolutely need to get started.

I started out with one gallon, and honestly I doubt I would again looking back on it. After doing 4 brews, I got sick of doing all the work for 9 beers. But hey, if that's what you want, go for it. Pretty much all the kits are the same, I got one from Midwest. Any large soup pot will work. Now that I've gone to 5 gallon brewing, some of my initial equipment still gets used, but most of it sits unused. Just something to keep in mind, depending what your future plans are.

how about 2 gallons for 18 beers? You can do it inside even though I use a burner on the deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the responses! billl the intended use is basically to use it as a test brewing kit yes. My girlfriend and I are looking at home brewing as a fun hobby for us to do together year-round and brew with the seasons and for occasions/gifts. We figure one gallon batches will be easier for quality control purposes and if we're going to screw things up along the way it wouldn't be so discouraging to throw out 1 gallon vs 6 gallons. It sounds like maybe we should think a little larger in the 2.5-3 gallon range? The small batch 1-gallon brew kits with all the ingredients are appealing with everything scaled down already.

What does everyone think of having multiple (3 or 4) gallon fermentors available to have the ability to brew more as necessary? We figure that if we get good at brewing we could always buy larger/more expensive equipment and keep the small batch kit for test brews or more seasonal types. After reading some of the comments and talking with a coworker he echoed the point that it's the same amount of work for 1 gallon or 6 gallons of beer. I'm less concerned about the work and have an eye on volume because I would rather be short on beer and use it for special gifts/occasions (I'm doing a woodworking project to make wood 500ml bomber carriers too) instead of having too much.

Thanks again for your comments guys/girls. It's been fun getting into home brewing and this forum

You can get a plastic 5 gallon fermenter for $15 .... you really don't need to fill it up! I've done 3 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy ....

http://www.homebrewsupply.com/6-5-gallon-plastic-fermenter.html

I don't know if they charge for shipping but your LHBS will have them as well. I was thinking about a 1 gallon setup for experiments, then I priced out three 1 gallon jugs, stoppers, airlocks and realized I was spending more than the 3 gallon carboy I opted for ... it really is a false economy.

By the time you sample a bottle or two you don't have much to give away. I personally think it's harder to brew 1 gallon than 5 gallon batches. Harder to maintain mash temps, harder to bottle from a big bottling bucket. If you drink beer and plan on giving some away, 2 cases (5 gallon) can go real quick, usually too quick.

Walmart sells 5 gallon white plastic pails that are HDPE and work very well for fermenters for a 2 or 3 gallon batch. Drill a small hole in the lid, tape a piece of plastic on 3 sides to cover it so it can let air out but not fruit flies in and you have a fermenter with airlock. You won't be likely to screw up batches, beer isn't that hard to make unless you get real experimental. Get more than one fermenter and make multiple batches. Bottle storage will be the biggest problem but it will also let you have different kinds of beer available.

I have tried 1,3,5,10 gallon batch sizes and they all have their place. Start with basic gear that can be used for different batch sizes because you may want to try different batch sizes. I like 1 gallon batches for trying new styles, plus I can brew without being too invasive of the house or kitchen. Cleanup is a breeze and I dont need to set big blocks of time aside for bottling, its something you can slip in after doing the dishes. I brew 5 gallons as well once a month, more easy drinking session beer.
I boil in a kitchen pot that we already had, and made my own grain bag. I ferment 1 gallon batches in 3x half gallon growlers. The 3 growlers go in a single swamp cooler with temp controlled heat belt. It shouldnt be hard to find things to ferment in, and airlocks are cheap. You could ferment in coke bottles if you wanted.

"The small batch 1-gallon brew kits with all the ingredients are appealing with everything scaled down already."

I think my comments came off as too anti-1-gallon. There is nothing wrong with a 1 gallon brewing. My point was only that most people switch to 5 gallon VERY quickly, so I wouldn't invest much in equipment that only works for 1 gallon batches. The only thing I would buy in a 1-gallon size is the fermenter. eg most 1 gallon kits come with a siphon that wouldn't reach the bottom of a full size carboy. I'd buy a full size autosiphon instead and be able to use it for any size batch.

The 1 gallon recipe kits are perfectly reasonable. That is much easier than buying hops in 1oz packets and then measuring out 0.20 oz etc and trying to store the rest.

Would it make more sense to buy the 6 gallon starter equipment kits and add one or two pieces for small batches?

I totally understand the thought process of starting with a single gallon kit. I did that as a way of seeing if I'd like it. I did like it and quickly moved on to 2.5 gallon batches (finished). You'll bottle about a case of beer. You can still brew in your kitchen, in a large pot- I've got a canning pot and a lobster steamer that I use. Theses will also work for BIAB if you go all grain. You can split most 5 gallon kits in half. For easy cleaning fermentor a food grade 4 gallon bucket or 3 gallon Carboy works great.

Would it make more sense to buy the 6 gallon starter equipment kits and add one or two pieces for small batches?

You could do that if your future plans are to go bigger. A gallon glass carboy can be found for about $5. I found that kits will get you started brewing. But after you get into it, get your process down, you will find other things to use/upgrade, and some things from the kit that you don't need/use. Most of my equipment from my original kit sits unused.

Thanks a ton everyone! Great to have some other opinions and input before making the decisions. Best of luck brewing and thanks again!

Dan

Another thing to look at is a wide-mouth one-gallon fermenter. Northern Brewer has one, others might as well. (Not affiliated with them, just know they have one.) Ease of cleaning after fermentation...and you can store little stuff in it when it's not in use.

Back