Sriracha Stout - Questions I have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agspaisa

Reaction score
Rogue Brewery has released a Sriracha Hot Stout beer. It is a decent flavored stout, but the real deal comes in the aftertaste. Boy, it has a kick! However, the spicyness is not the same as adding sriracha to food, but much rather a "throat" spicy aftertaste that feels like a very slight heartburn. Some might not enjoy the sensation, but I do and it left me with a few questions in regard to brewing something similar at home.
First, how does one go about adding spicyness to the brew? By this, I mean in what step is the sriracha added? Second, how much would be a decent amount to add, and what ingredients would be used and which may be omitted from the sauce? Finally, what type of yeast and hops would pair well with the sriracha?
I hope we can discuss these topics further.

It's been discussed before.
you want to avoid the vinegar...
All else to your taste...
There are several threads for chili flavored beers..
Not much info, but should get you going...

wild guess here... but i'm guessing that they done actually use siracha....

my guess is that they use a spicy extract... and put in flavors of roasted garlic and roasted chili pod just to get that siracha flavor...??

again just my wild guess...

look for dried red jalapeño powder. also easy to diy: buy some green jalapeños and let them sit on the counter till they are red, dry in oven or dehydrator, remove seeds and chop with coffee grinder

look for dried red jalapeño powder. also easy to diy: buy some green jalapeños and let them sit on the counter till they are red, dry in oven or dehydrator, remove seeds and chop with coffee grinder

I did that once with our home grown jalapenos.
The powder was weapons grade - just removing the grinder lid put enough in the air I thought I'd need an Epi Pen!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back