Fruit in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondDave347

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to brewing. I made an American Wheat placed for two weeks in primary. OG 1.050. It's now third week in secondary sitting on 35 oz's of Oregon raspberry puree. Supposed to be 5 gallon but ended up at a little over 4 gallons. Oops!! SG is now 1.010. When put in hydro it had a decent head on it. Obviously the sugars from puree but it tasted little raspberry and heavy on the alcohol taste. My question. Just wait to bottle or bottle with half the priming. I'm a big time noooooob. Thanks

Depending on what temp you fermented at, alcohol taste may have come from fermenting too warm. If you were looking for more than subtle raspberry, I would have doubled the amount of raspberry. Re priming, use a calculator like the one below. Input the volume and ferm temp and it'll account for residual CO2 in solution.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Greetings microbus and thanks for reply. I think I got wort down to around 78 degrees when I pitched US-05 yeast. Dry pack and my LHBS said its pretty forgiving at first. Within that time though about 30 minutes I had fermentation bucket in ice bath cooled to 65 degrees. Had a krausen on when I opened it 3 days later. Then left in primary for two weeks. Before I racked to secondary I put the first of two sanitized can of puree in and let rest for two days ( no fermentation action which tells me yeast cleaned up) then another can of puree to secondary glass carboy and that's where we stand today. SG went from 1.010 to 1.009. Sounds like it's done....right? Smells good. Temp of ice bath is 34 degrees. Don't know what internal is because I don't want to open carboy anymore and cause oxidation. So should I sit it for two more weeks? Or more?

Sorry, went on vacation and just realized I never replied. A lot of the flavor contribution from yeast occurs at the beginning of fermentation. US-05 is a pretty clean fermenting yeast, but even it can add a lot of yeast character at elevated temps. I usually start it out no higher than 65F, then I'll raise it a degree per day over a few days. IME, this gives you a clean fermentation profile and ensures it fully attenuates, cleans up after itself, etc. US05 is pretty versatile; I've fermented in the high 50's with it and I've heard of folks using it in the low 50's as well.

Re your temps, 65F is good for primary, but how did you measure? If you measured anything other than the wort at the center of your fermenter, it was likely warmer than that. When I do a 1L yeast starter I'll boil the starter wort, then put the flask in an ice bath to bring it down to pitching temps. Even with that small of a volume I have to swirl it periodically to get it to chill evenly; otherwise the outside edges get chilled while the middle stays significantly warmer. Eventually it'll come to equilibrium, but I've been surprised how much temperature variation you can get in such a small vessel. So depending on how you measured, that might have been a contributor if it has a fusel character.

I would guess it's done based on your FG, but just make sure it doesn't change over a couple days. One question...you didn't have the ice bath at 34F when you added the puree, correct? You usually want it around the same temps that you used for primary. If you start dropping the temps too soon, the yeast may not fully ferment the sugars from the fruit. Cooling is a signal to the yeast to go to sleep, so if there is a bunch of residual sugars, the yeast could start working on them when they wake up (warm up). If this happens in the bottle you could end up with over-carb'd beer or worst case, bottle bombs. 1.010 to 1.009 seems like a reasonable FG though, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It could also be that your beer just needs to condition a bit to smooth out the rough edges. Have you tried it in the last couple days?

Back