Need help with new setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fewer bends you can have the better, when you start running long runs through your pumps in a recirc setup you really start to notice a slowdown. So, I would get rid of the 90 bend going into the HLT's recirc and put a hose with a straight TC barbed connection into it. Also, I have found it beneficial to control sparge flow into the BK at the pump instead of using a valve at the BK, so I have a valve at both ends of that run with the BK valve only there to seal it once I'm done sparging. Hope that helps.

Yes this helps a lot. I do also have valves that come off the pumps. So you think I should get rid of the 90 on my mash tank for the sparge arm inside. I have them left to right as hlt, mash, boil. Would you change that order around? I wanted water levels on my hlt and boil kettle.

You already own it so may as well try the 90, if its the only 90 in the system it probably won't hold things up too much, especially on a sparge where you don't need high flow rates. I have my kettles setup reverse order as you so that the site glasses are on the outboard sides of the system and out of the way and always east to view. This also keeps the tangential inlet closer to my pumps (which are located in the center of my system underneath the MT) so I don't need as long a hose line run to it.

Back